Part Design Roadmap

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kcleung

Re: Part Design Roadmap

Post by kcleung »

jmaustpc wrote:
kcleung wrote:Also if I want to try out the assembly branch, could you please show the path of this branch again?
That would be pointless, unless you are intending to write code and even then, see above, ...we need to tidy up PDnext first.

There was some early work, partly functional, in a development branch, but it was based on FreeCAD from 4 years ago, hence totally useless, some of the guys updated it somewhat but development kept stalling, the work involved in just keeping it up to date with master was nearly impossible.

Native FreeCAD Assembly is a huge, deep and potentially disruptive update that goes deep into the FreeCAD core. It is not just a Python add on.

So for now, forget native FreeCAD Assembly for a while, if you want to hurry up Assembly then first help finish "PD next".
So is it true that the new PartDesign has been merged into the FreeCAD core, but we need to restart Assembly from scratch?

And yes I want to hurry up Assembly, so I would like to help finishing "PD Next".

Could you please point me to the git branch that contains the WIP "PD Next" and hints of internal code documentation of PD Next and PartDesign as a whole? I already read the Assembly tutorial website so have a rough idea about the rational of the Assembly concept.

I am fluent in C++ and have a working knowledge of Python. So I guess "tidying up" the PDnext will be the best way to quickly become fluent at Python!!!
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

Oh.... does "PD" stand for "Part Document" in:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... ly_project

and "PD Next" is simply the next generation of the "Part Document" structure?

I tried to find reference of "PD next" in the code at the FreeCAD master:

abcs-MBP:src abc$ grep -R PDNext *
grep: MacAppBundle/FreeCAD.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeCAD: No such file or directory
abcs-MBP:src abc$ grep -R 'PD Next' *
grep: MacAppBundle/FreeCAD.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeCAD: No such file or directory
abcs-MBP:src abc$ grep -R PDnext *
abcs-MBP:src abc$ grep -R 'PD next' *
abcs-MBP:src abc$

but found nothing

Could you please point me to the correct branch?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

kcleung wrote:I tried to find reference of "PD next" in the code at the FreeCAD master
PartDesign Next is the unofficial name of the new PartDesign architecture and functionality, that was being developed for many years, and was finally merged recently. It is just "Part Design" in code.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @kcleung!

As said currently there is no Assembly module available to be tested/merged in FreeCAD master. Therefore current recommended workflow is to use:
And you can help out testing FreeCAD 0.17 (development release). That is to report bugs and propose improvements in workflow.
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

jmaustpc wrote:
So for now, forget native FreeCAD Assembly for a while, if you want to hurry up Assembly then first help finish "PD next".
jmaustpc: Yes I am happy to help. However could you please give us a TODO list of "PD next"? Which particular sub-task you want me to work on? And should I directly work on the PartDesign module in the FreeCAD master, or is there another branch that I should work on instead?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

kcleung wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:
jmaustpc: Yes I am happy to help. However could you please give us a TODO list of "PD next"? Which particular sub-task you want me to work on? And should I directly work on the PartDesign module in the FreeCAD master, or is there another branch that I should work on instead?
PartDesign next, is what we were unoficially calling the current PartDesign Workbench that is now in master. In FreeCAD we use master as the current development branch. So yes, that's were you develop from. Many are working on this area, but I think Ickby is the one who is more or less the coordinator for this area.

There is a lot to do and it would be great to avoid duplication, but regarding specifics, I don't know, Deepsoic and Ickby would have a far better idea than I. You could have a look at the bugs in PartDesign section of the bug tracker, Ickby has asked for most of them to be assigned to him, but it might help you with seeing the sort of things that need attention.
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

jmaustpc wrote:
kcleung wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:
PartDesign next, is what we were unoficially calling the current PartDesign Workbench that is now in master. In FreeCAD we use master as the current development branch. So yes, that's were you develop from. Many are working on this area, but I think Ickby is the one who is more or less the coordinator for this area.

There is a lot to do and it would be great to avoid duplication, but regarding specifics, I don't know, Deepsoic and Ickby would have a far better idea than I. You could have a look at the bugs in PartDesign section of the bug tracker, Ickby has asked for most of them to be assigned to him, but it might help you with seeing the sort of things that need attention.
I see, so I have a look at:

http://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/my_view_page.php

and pick one of the items marked with [PartDesign] in the "Unassigned" section, and I right? Should I focus on confirmed issues?

Also before I pick an issue, who should I talk to?

And under the tracker system, is the account same as the account used in the forum, or do I need to make a new account?

Deepsoic and Ickby: could you please let us know what needs to be done in PartDesign and what cleanup job I can take?

Thanks!
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello,

any help would be welcome. Currently most of the PartDesign bugs are assigned to me, but feel free to just take one and work on it. I can recomend issue #2501, should be rather straigth forward and gives you a good chance of diving into the code. please add a note on the bugtracker when you start working on it to avoid duplicate efforts. for any questions just make a new post here in the forum.
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

ickby wrote:Hello,

any help would be welcome. Currently most of the PartDesign bugs are assigned to me, but feel free to just take one and work on it. I can recomend issue #2501, should be rather straigth forward and gives you a good chance of diving into the code. please add a note on the bugtracker when you start working on it to avoid duplicate efforts. for any questions just make a new post here in the forum.
Thanks Ickby. So I will run the PartDesign tutorial first to ensure I know the inside out of the operations of PartDesign, then hopefully I can start looking at this bug from next week.

I am fluent in C++, and also have a working knowledge of Python. Hopefully I can start contributing into this project :)
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

I am going through the tutorial with the freecad git master.

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... n_Tutorial

After successfully creating the first pocket, then I use the "mirror" feature as instructed, the pocket mirrors to the wrong axis. So I clicked "undo", but after I click "undo, everything disappears. So have I wiped everything (would be a bug in FreeCAD) or do I just need to somehow ask FreeCAD to redraw?

Thanks!