How to try the Assembly workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mowijo

How to try the Assembly workbench

Post by mowijo »

Hi All. Last night I compiled this FreeCAD

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6551 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 74a43f23b3dcf9a95a3d691b9373bb0ecf8ea0f2
Python version: 2.7.10
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.18-dev

from git master.

I cant seem to find the assembly work bench anywhere. Did I build a wrong branch? If not, how do I find the assembly tools?

Best,
Morten
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: How to try the Assembly workbench

Post by jmaustpc »

mowijo wrote:I cant seem to find the assembly work bench anywhere. Did I build a wrong branch? If not, how do I find the assembly tools?
the official FreeCAD Assembly WB is planned and some early work has been started in some developers' branches but it does not exist in any sort of useful state yet.
SlowGoing

Post by SlowGoing »

Is there anyone currently working on the Assembly WB ?
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Yes. The new PartDesign Workbench is an essential step towards the assembly workbench, introducing crucial new objects and workflows wich enable assemblies later on. Hence multiple persons are working on this and a lot of work has gone into this over the recent months. And a lot of work will happen until this new PartDesign is to be considered stable and we can go on working on other assembly aspects.

I'm also working parallel on the assembly solver, on and off, if I feel like it :)
SlowGoing

Post by SlowGoing »

Awesome.
Hoping to be able to help.
Reading and using FC as much as I can at the moment.
domson

Post by domson »

I hope my girlfriend will forgive me...
but I love you folks for this
awesome silver lining on the horizon
of cad development on linux!!!

So anyway, hopefully I'll be helpful some day ...
cheers
dom
Olgx

Post by Olgx »

I see that the last message is more than a month old.

Is the assembly workbench currently in development or is the part design rework still a priority ?
I am currently using the 0.17.7713 (x64 win10) official pre build, which was released on april 9th. Maybe there has been important changes since.
I am very willing to contribute but I am quite new to FreeCAD development.

If I can help by any mean (testing, writting py scripts, making new icons, translations to french, ...) let me know :)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Olgx wrote:I see that the last message is more than a month old.

Is the assembly workbench currently in development or is the part design rework still a priority ?
Yes. ;)

That is part design rework is still a priority and assembly workbench currently is in the development.
I am currently using the 0.17.7713 (x64 win10) official pre build, which was released on april 9th. Maybe there has been important changes since.
I am very willing to contribute but I am quite new to FreeCAD development.
On Ubuntu 16.04 FreeCAD snappy package is available and if you want you can test assembly workbench in current state.
If I can help by any mean (testing, writting py scripts, making new icons, translations to french, ...) let me know :)
Yes all of this is welcomed. You can follow python/design/translation discussions on the forum and take part if something interests you.
Olgx

Post by Olgx »

triplus wrote:
On Ubuntu 16.04 FreeCAD snappy package is available and if you want you can test assembly workbench in current state.
I installed Ubundu 16.04 but I can't get further :(
I've added this repository https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintain ... ecad-daily with sudo apt-get ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily but that's all I could do...

Edit : Nevermind ! I have now "FreeCAD daily"
However, there is no Assembly Workbench in the combobox :(
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Olgx wrote:
triplus wrote:
I installed Ubundu 16.04 but I can't get further :(
I've added this repository https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintain ... ecad-daily with sudo apt-get ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily but that's all I could do...

Edit : Nevermind ! I have now "FreeCAD daily"
However, there is no Assembly Workbench in the combobox :(
Assembly is not in the daily PPA version, triplus said it was in that snap version someone recently made, I have no idea if it is or is not. Compiling Assembly WB in master (which is what the daily PPA is) is a cmake option currently defaulted to off, for good reason. Assembly WB has three icons and does almost nothing, it did compile for me a week or two ago on one of my heavily modified Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit box, but the result is a complete waste of time as far as any user functionality is concerned. If you want to develop code then you would be compiling from source anyway.