create a PPA including the new Part Design Workbench?

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kcleung

create a PPA including the new Part Design Workbench?

Post by kcleung »

moderator's edit ...this topic was created by splitting from another topic, from which ickby is quoted, here is a link...
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11205&start=130#p115764

ickby wrote:Hello,

while testing is welcome everytime, there is currently no real need for it. We are going to merge into master after the 0.16 release, and I think then we get all the test time and reports we need. If you want to provide earlyer feedback use this branch: https://github.com/blobfish/FreeCAD_sf_ ... baseMaster
So are you going to merge the assembly branch into FreeCAD after 0.16? That's wonderful! When will 0.16 be released, and is this:

https://github.com/blobfish/FreeCAD_sf_ ... baseMaster

the leading assembly branch that is going to be merged?

If so, is it possible to set an automatic build machine to periodic build this branch on win, linux and mac so that we can easily test without having a compiler toolchain? For Linux, do we already have an Ubuntu PPA that have a daily build of this branch?
Last edited by jmaustpc on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added splitting comment and link to other topic
drei

Re: Test Request: Part Design Workflow

Post by drei »

kcleung wrote:If so, is it possible to set an automatic build machine to periodic build this branch on win, linux and mac so that we can easily test without having a compiler toolchain? For Linux, do we already have an Ubuntu PPA that have a daily build of this branch?
If you're talking about the regular Daily PPA, that is already set up. About automatic builds for all OSes of this branch, I doubt that is the case. Many volunteers do their best to supply build for users to try, but I doubt we have something as complex as what you describe.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

drei wrote:If you're talking about the regular Daily PPA, that is already set up.
The Daily PPA is based on the master branch. kcleung inquires about a daily build that would be based on the assemblyMergeMaster1 branch mentioned in the first post.
kcleung wrote:If so, is it possible to set an automatic build machine to periodic build this branch on win, linux and mac so that we can easily test without having a compiler toolchain?
Are you volunteering to help make it happen? If not then do what we are all doing: wait for it to be merged to master.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Test Request: Part Design Workflow

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote:
drei wrote:If you're talking about the regular Daily PPA, that is already set up.
The Daily PPA is based on the master branch. kcleung inquires about a daily build that would be based on the assemblyMergeMaster1 branch mentioned in the first post.
kcleung wrote:If so, is it possible to set an automatic build machine to periodic build this branch on win, linux and mac so that we can easily test without having a compiler toolchain?
Are you volunteering to help make it happen? If not then do what we are all doing: wait for it to be merged to master.

Also unless it's changed recently, the ppa system can only pull from master branches of git repositories
Fat-Zer

Post by Fat-Zer »

kcleung wrote:So are you going to merge the assembly branch into FreeCAD after 0.16? That's wonderful!
Note that it's mostly our desire, but we haven't discussed it with core developers yet...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

jmaustpc wrote:Also unless it's changed recently, the ppa system can only pull from master branches of git repositories
It's possible http://askubuntu.com/questions/484787/h ... -launchpad
But I'm not volunteering at this time.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Interesting, sgrogan, let's keep that under our hat... (I'm unwilling to do anything about it either)

In any case, in a couple years PPAs will become obsolete. Ubuntu will be transitioning from deb packages to Snappy packages.
http://www.webupd8.org/2015/04/ubuntu-d ... ch-to.html

Of course it being run by Canonical there will be delays.
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

jmaustpc wrote:
NormandC wrote:

Also unless it's changed recently, the ppa system can only pull from master branches of git repositories
I don't mind setting up a daily PPA on my launchpad account. How can I adapt the regular Daily PPA so that it pull from our branch instead of the master branch?
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

Fat-Zer wrote:
kcleung wrote:So are you going to merge the assembly branch into FreeCAD after 0.16? That's wonderful!
Note that it's mostly our desire, but we haven't discussed it with core developers yet...
Should we discuss the intention of merging the assembly branch into FreeCAD after 0.16 with the core developers NOW? It is a good idea to let the core developers know, as they may advise us what kind of changes are likely in post-0.16 so that we can take into account before the actual merger, and the core developers can also set a timeslot to merge our branch before merging other changes.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

kcleung wrote:I don't mind setting up a daily PPA on my launchpad account. How can I adapt the regular Daily PPA so that it pull from our branch instead of the master branch?
Now that is refreshing. When I challenge users to get involved usually I don't hear back from them. :D

If you're willing to try, I'm willing to help. But this should be discussed in another topic as to not interfere with the main topic here.

Jim or other mods: would it be possible for you to split the posts where we talk about a possible "assembly-next" PPA into a separate topic in the Install/Compile forum?

Since kcleung's post also discussed of other stuff maybe we should split from my reply to him. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11205&start=130#p117061

Thanks!