question to Current state of the assembly workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

question to Current state of the assembly workbench

Post by bernd »

Topic viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16697 is locked so I post here. Roland (r-frank) has made a very good overview about all the different assembly code around but it misses the code in up to date FreeCAD master! There is assembly in FreeCAD master and it compiles. But this code is not noted by Rolands post. He only linked jürgens code:
Official assembly workbench
There was some initial work done on an assembly workbench.
The work is hosted here.
It has to be compiled against a very old, now obsolete version of FreeCAD and is therefore
not recommended for use.
jürgen
https://github.com/jriegel/FreeCAD/tree ... embly-next

FreeCAD 0.17.8550 (up to date master) compiles for me
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... d/Assembly

How about this code and the tools in this Workbench?
triplus
Veteran

Re: question to Current state of the assembly workbench

Post by triplus »

Hi @bernd.

Based on my knowledge this is assembly1 related code. But i don't know for sure if it was part of an attempt that was stopped or the work simply moved to separate development branch (and therefore the code found in master is just earlier revision of it).
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

bernd wrote:How about this code and the tools in this Workbench?
Could you share a screenshot for those of us who don't have time to compile it to see for themselves? :D

I too am wondering if it's only the first iteration of the Assembly wb. It had 3 icons that did nothing, which is why the CMakeLists.txt was finally edited to not compile it by default.

git commit f970c97

But /src/Mod/Assembly's history shows commits dating back from 2014, this must be stuff that was merged at the same time as PartDesignNext this April...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

On Ubuntu 16.04 there is an easy way available to try it out (snap package):
Assembly.png
Assembly.png (16.3 KiB) Viewed 6933 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Those are Jim's icons added back in 2014 but I don't know if the tools actually work. I guess ickby is the one who'll know.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Well first two don’t produce any errors when clicked. The third one does. They are used to add Part, Subassembly or existing component (STEP, IGES or BREP) into the active assembly.

And it looks like the fun stops there. Therefore nothing fancy yet (like seen in the video a few years back).
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

thanks guys for all these informations.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

bernd wrote:thanks guys for all these informations.
Hi @bernd
following this old thread
viewtopic.php?t=5775#p46561
the FC Assembly developed by @jriegel should be involved in STEP import and export with assembly structure...
There for I will go for the 2nd approach. I use the STEP-Code project python binding to load all high level objects from a STEP file, like Produkts, Persons and all kind of meta data. Interpret it with a python script, which makes it very flexible and easy to extend. After heaving the high level information I use the low level OCC translater to just get the (Part 42) shapes.
I went through the code and found that in his repository
https://github.com/jriegel/FreeCAD/tree ... embly-next
there is the code to import STEP files using STEP-code library (SCL)

Code: Select all

# This file is part of the StepClassLibrary (SCL).
in the DIR FreeCAD-dev-assembly-next/src/Mod/Import/App/SCL there is the related code and also there is a STEP file example that has assembly structure...
step-assembly-CADA.png
step-assembly-CADA.png (48.83 KiB) Viewed 6496 times
step-assembly.png
step-assembly.png (101.46 KiB) Viewed 6496 times
Product1.stp
(10.3 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
triplus wrote:Therefore nothing fancy yet
I don't have a building chain to test it but would please someone that had built it have a look and test if importing the STEP file with this branch will produce an assembly similar to the one in the images?
EDIT
triplus wrote:On Ubuntu 16.04 there is an easy way available to try it out (snap package):
Assembly.png
I could try a snap package in Ubuntu 16.04 on a VM, would you suggest me the way to install and obtain that testing release?

Thank you
Maurice
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

easyw-fc wrote:
triplus wrote:Therefore nothing fancy yet
I don't have a building chain to test it but would please someone that had built it have a look and test if importing the STEP file with this branch will produce an assembly similar to the one in the images?
Quickly looking in the SCL folder i think that this was already merged in FreeCAD therefore i guess it is included in FreeCAD snap package. If i try to import mentioned file i get an error. It doesn't work.
I could try a snap package in Ubuntu 16.04 on a VM, would you suggest me the way to install and obtain that testing release?

Thank you
Maurice
Sure. Here are the instructions that i used:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15939&start=10#p126852