Test request

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Test request

Post by ickby »

Hey Jim, yes we can use every color we want. Currently I just used colors from the sketcher workbench (fully constraint and construction I think). Making them consistent with the icons is a good idea. As I'm for red ions to keep the constraints consistent I would vote for red geometry marker in 3d.

BTW. The geometry also highlights.when you select the constraint in the tree.

And I merged your icons into my branch locally, I like the look, very distinguished from the rest which makes fast navaigating easy. One little remark: could you make the things that are different between the assembly icons a bit more prominent? For example the constraint in the constraint group icon, so that it is easier to spot the different meaning with a fast look.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

ickby wrote:Hey Jim, yes we can use every color we want. Currently I just used colors from the sketcher workbench (fully constraint and construction I think). Making them consistent with the icons is a good idea. As I'm for red ions to keep the constraints consistent I would vote for red geometry marker in 3d.

BTW. The geometry also highlights.when you select the constraint in the tree.
OK, then unless Juergen/Werner/Yorik says other wise ... I will go ahead with the constraint icons using red for now....if they want something else, either now or later, I will just change all the appropriate red bit in my icons to what colour becomes specified.

I have some ideas for constraint icons, I should know in a day or so if they will work out or not.
ickby wrote:And I merged your icons into my branch locally, I like the look, very distinguished from the rest which makes fast navaigating easy. One little remark: could you make the things that are different between the assembly icons a bit more prominent? For example the constraint in the constraint group icon, so that it is easier to spot the different meaning with a fast look.
If you are happy enough with the theme in general and you agree with Mark, (in that the icons are at least heaps better than nothing,) :) , then can we agree to go ahead with what I have done so far ... and I will continue to work on improving them and perhaps get some general feed back or suggestions etc..?

Jim
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Yes, I'm definitely happy with them. I already merged your branch, just need to push it to github someday.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi all
These are the issues/bugs/suggestions resulting from my work and testing on this branch (ickby_assembly)

1) Assembly constraint task ......has no cancel button...if you double click on a previously existing constraint in the tree view and enter edit mode then get something wrong or change your mind ...you can not click cancel to escape and drop any edits.

2) context menu for the tree view Assembly constraints does not have an "edit" to set it in edit mode. You can double click and that works fine ...but for constancy with other tree items throughout FreeCAD I think it should have "edit", or whatever, in the list.

3) how can we select geometries on a shape which are either hidden by another shape or are in exactly the same location? e.g. two default part cylinder, with all default settings, hence are sitting in the same space. How can I select the top of one and the bottom of the other to Assembly constrain them such that they sit one on top of the other?

4) crash bug - in the Assembly workbench (incorrect selection), by selecting the whole shape in the tree view, rather than just a geometry on the shape in the model window,....then click on a Assembly constraints tool bar icon ...FreeCAD crashes.
for example open my test file rocket_Assembly3 below
rocket_assembly3.fcstd
(902.14 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
go to Assembly workbench
go to the tree view and double click Assembly001_1st_stage
the select Pad_1st_s_engines
then Ctrl key and select Pad001_ist_s_tanks_section

now click on Assembly constraint general tool bar icon or Align......and FreeCAD will crash

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3182 (Git)
Branch: ickby_assembly_with_new_icons
Hash: c9f11b386bb31c0af8f0a2ed20cb761dce7257e0
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.0

This is the gbd bt command line output copied into a text file and zipped up. Actually its everything from what I typed to start FreeCAD within gbd to the end of the bt output.
Jim
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

3. Will be done by the usage of the InputField qt widget and the Unit system...
Stop whining - start coding!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

jriegel wrote:3. Will be done by the usage of the InputField qt widget and the Unit system...
I mean if you can not see it how can you click on it? If you hide one shape so that you can see the other shape that is sitting over the top of it, then you loose your selection. When you right click on another shape to un-hide it, you change your selection again.

But that's partly because I have been using the space bar, I think.

Now I'm confused ...I did eventually manage to get three cylinders starting in the same location, to sit on top of each other. You have to be careful of how and when you hide/unhide things, you have to right click not space bar. remember to press release and press ctrl.... in short I am not quite shore how I did it but I did eventually get it right.

Selection of shapes sitting on top of each other is difficult.

On the plus side I had one constraint on the wrong face of one cylinder...I was able to edit the coincidence constraint and change the face that it was applied to ...and it worked...great stuff!
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

The Assembly module still needs lot of love from the coders. Thats the reason I decided not to release it with 0.14....
Stop whining - start coding!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I just had an idea of how to make selection more controllable. So I posted a topic on the developer's forum.

This file is a simple demo of 4 cylinders, much the same as the last file I posted above, except that it now has no pistons etc, just the rocket, and the rocket now has 2 stages.

Each stage has an engine section and a tank section, so the assemblies are nested. i.e. each stage has an assembly of engine and tank ...and then there is an assembly containing those two assemblies.

Its not very exciting but might be useful to someone as a simple example of Assembly.

Jim
Attachments
rocket_assembly4.fcstd
(428.28 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

jriegel wrote:The Assembly module still needs lot of love from the coders. Thats the reason I decided not to release it with 0.14....
Hi Juergen
There is no doubt that you have made the correct decision, ...... but still it is exciting to see what it can already do! :)

Jim
whirlybomber

Post by whirlybomber »

Hello again everybody,

After playing with the regular PPA version of FreeCAD now for a while, I decide to check back in on the progress of the assembly branch. Since (afaik) the "ickby" assembly branch seems to be the happening place, I cleared a new folder on my PC and checked out
bradley@Ubuntu-desktop:~/FreeCAD_Assembly_Module$ git clone https://github.com/ickby/FreeCAD_constraint/
But now when I go to run cmake-gui on it I get an error that I didn't see ~6 months ago last time I compiled.
The Fortran compiler identification is GNU
CMake Error at Base/CMakeLists.txt:58 (generate_from_xml):
Unknown CMake command "generate_from_xml".

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
I had a quick look through the forum for this error, but my google-fu is weak. Any ideas?