Engine block tutorial posted

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Engine block tutorial posted

Post by wmayer »

Only the issue with wrong z coordinate should be fixed because it's a little bit annoying.
With this I meant what Andrew said that the z edit field shows the wrong value. It should show this offset value if a drawing plane is defined before. Actually, I don't care whether the widget is disabled or not. :)
Actually it's an interesting but difficult problem... You want to move a point of a spline or wire. I can easily make inventor not see the control point (turn off the selectionMode field of the SoFCSelection node), but when you move the control point, the underlying vertex of the spline/wire gets relocated under the mouse cursor, resulting in being catched by snap... But you want to be able to snap to the spline itself, so you can close it... But doing so prevents snapping to other objects... It's a hard-to-solve philosophical issue
The problem I had was when drawing the initial spline. Since I had everything visible the snap function didn't always find the vertex but for my second try when hiding all irrelevant objects everything was fine.

BTW, I think the dimensions and positions of the boxes under "Finishing out the Crankcase" are wrong -- in case I didn't make an error in my model.

The model I created I added to Subversion in the data/examples folder.
andrewbuck40

Post by andrewbuck40 »

What do you think is wrong with the dimensions for the crankcase? I assume you are referring to the fact that there are some small gaps on the top side. This is a minor issue that I figured I would either make a short addition to the tutorial to add a couple more techniques, or I would just leave it as it is and put some kind of note about it at the end of the tutorial.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

What do you think is wrong with the dimensions for the crankcase?
Sorry, it was my fault. By accident I rotated the two boxes and thus got something strange. I compared it with my first model and saw the error I made. So, don't worry everything is fine :)