Mantis does not allow a reporter to select 0.16

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Mantis does not allow a reporter to select 0.16

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Yorik

A user report in the topic below that when a normal user tries to make a mantis ticket 0.16 is available from the drop down list.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13731&start=20

I created a new account with default reporter permissions to test this and he is right. It would seem a "Developer" permissions user can see 0.16 in the drop down list but not a "reporter".

Of course I don't have the admin permissions required to configure Mantis, so I can't fix it myself. :)

Jim
r-frank
Veteran

Re: Mantis does not allow a reporter to select 0.16

Post by r-frank »

Hello jim.

Well, some time ago I noted this behaviour too and thought ... "since reporters can only report bugs for the "stable" release and the
development snapshot (which is under continous changing) is discussed in the forum and then the developers decide to change something
or not ..." this behaviour seemed to make sense to me.

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jmaustpc wrote:A user report in the topic below that when a normal user tries to make a mantis ticket 0.16 is available from the drop down list.
this is strange... I can't find where this is set...
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

As long as a version number is not marked as Released it won't appear in the drop-down list which is correct IMO.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Okay, then let's leave it like that. Indeed it makes sense..

To all of you who are old timers here on the forum and use a development version regularly, if you would like the ability to mark issues as development version on the tracker, just ask me and I upgrade your permissions to developer. (help with triaging bugs, asking on old bugs if the problem still appears, etc... is also welcome :mrgreen: )
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote:As long as a version number is not marked as Released it won't appear in the drop-down list which is correct IMO.
yorik wrote:Okay, then let's leave it like that. Indeed it makes sense..

To all of you who are old timers here on the forum and use a development version regularly, if you would like the ability to mark issues as development version on the tracker, just ask me and I upgrade your permissions to developer. (help with triaging bugs, asking on old bugs if the problem still appears, etc... is also welcome :mrgreen: )
I can see your point but how then do we differentiate between release version and the subsequent dev versions? Our dev versions rapidly diverge from the old release versions, there are a lot using PPA/compiling/snapshots etc. for example now that we are over 1500 commits ahead of 0.15 in master (which is labelled 0.16) so there is substantial divergence, many bugs in 0.15 are now irrelevant in 0.16/master.

Perhaps we really should have an intermediate number system, something like 0.15Release then 0.16dev then 0.16Release etc. ?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Some time ago we decided that in the future we will adopt an even/odd numbering system, many apps do that (0.16 is stable, 0.17 is development, then when we release it, it becomes 0.18, then we switch immediately to 0.19 for development, etc..) So, no more 0.16 stable vs. 0.16 development

Note that indicating the version number in mantis is not mandatory... We can always use that for development versions... Or fake it by indicating it as released, but i don't like that too much
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:Some time ago we decided that in the future we will adopt an even/odd numbering system, many apps do that (0.16 is stable, 0.17 is development, then when we release it, it becomes 0.18, then we switch immediately to 0.19 for development, etc..) So, no more 0.16 stable vs. 0.16 development
I like that idea, can we implement that after 0.16 is released?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jmaustpc wrote:I like that idea, can we implement that after 0.16 is released?
Yes that's the plan ;) After 0.16 we switch to 0.17, and when it's ready to release, it will become 0.18...