Wiki Example Files

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Wiki Example Files

Post by sgrogan »

Picking up the discussion from here:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13908&start=20#p111259
Piffpoff wrote:No, my problem is with the forum (where people post FCStd files), I'm not sure about downloading files from the WIki, I haven't tried that and am not sure where there would be a file to download on the Wiki.
OK now I am beginning to understand. For me on windows I get the option to open file or save file with Firefox, IE, and Google chrome. In all cases "save" saves the file name with the .FCstd extention to my downloads folder. With IE there is an additional option to save as that lets me choose the destination directory, the default file name and extension is file.FCstd.
One difference I did note, my link to Github is ".fcstd" in all cases. Jim's link is ".FCstd", on Windows this doesn't matter, is Mac case sensitive?

Edit: Piffpoff does this link work:https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-libr ... d?raw=true
"fight the good fight"
piffpoof

Re: Wiki Example Files

Post by piffpoof »

sgrogan wrote:Picking up the discussion from here:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13908&start=20#p111259
Piffpoof wrote:No, my problem is with the forum (where people post FCStd files), I'm not sure about downloading files from the WIki, I haven't tried that and am not sure where there would be a file to download on the Wiki.
OK now I am beginning to understand. For me on windows I get the option to open file or save file with Firefox, IE, and Google chrome. In all cases "save" saves the file name with the .FCstd extention to my downloads folder. With IE there is an additional option to save as that lets me choose the destination directory, the default file name and extension is file.FCstd.
One difference I did note, my link to Github is ".fcstd" in all cases. Jim's link is ".FCstd", on Windows this doesn't matter, is Mac case sensitive?

Edit: Piffpoof does this link work:https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-libr ... d?raw=true
I have tried the download in the following 3 browsers:
Safari
DN15_FIG_130.FCStd
Chrome
DN15_FIG_130.FCStd.fcstd
Opera
DN15_FIG_130.FCStd.FCStd
Safari got the download filename right, the other 2 got duplicate file extensions - but not identically.
sgrogan wrote:... is Mac case sensitive?
After downloading the file DN15_FIG_130.FCStd through Safari, I copied the file to:
  • a.FCStd
  • b.fcstd
The original and the 'a' and 'b' versions all opened identically in FreeCAD v0.15

Dean
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe try the same experiment with Jim's file from the forum. I'm not seeing any trends to help us.
"fight the good fight"
piffpoof

Post by piffpoof »

sgrogan wrote:Maybe try the same experiment with Jim's file from the forum.
Downloading Jim's file from the forum:

Chrome
Booleans with loft.FCStd.fcstd
Safari
file.php
Opera
Booleans with loft.FCStd.FCStd
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

The only thing consistent is that it isn't consistent. I will do some more experimenting. I can load the files with File.fcstd.fcstd (all combinations of upper and lower case) into FreeCAD no problem. From the python console it looks like internally FreeCAD converts to File_fcstd.fcstd
"fight the good fight"
piffpoof

Post by piffpoof »

sgrogan wrote:I can load the files with File.fcstd.fcstd (all combinations of upper and lower case) into FreeCAD no problem.
File.fcstd.fcstd also loads properly on the Mac version of FreeCAD v0.15
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

https://github.com/FreeCAD/Examples

People with access to FreeCAD and FreeCAD-library have automatically been granted access to this one. Who else wants to contribute, just give me your github username!
piffpoof

Post by piffpoof »

yorik wrote:Who else wants to contribute, just give me your github username!
hi Yorik
may as well add me, GitHub username=piffpoof

Dean
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Thanks Yorik.

I suggest we develop a convention where we put the FreeCAD version the file was created with and a link to the Wiki page it is used on in the commit message.
I assume we would use the same creative commons license as the Library. Unless I hear otherwise I will update the read me.

If someone wants to contribute, please make a pull request or post here (or PM me), please provide version and link so I can add to the commit message. I will use your FreeCAD username as author in the commit message unless requested otherwise.
"fight the good fight"
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

piffpoof wrote:may as well add me, GitHub username=piffpoof
done!
sgrogan wrote:I suggest we develop a convention where we put the FreeCAD version the file was created with and a link to the Wiki page it is used on in the commit message.
Ok. I was thinking this repo can serve for other purposes, so I would suggest to use as most as possible meaningful file names, and put everything always in meaningful folders. A bit like it is done with https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-library there was no guidelines, everybody did a bit like he felt appropriate, and I think the result is not bad, and pretty clear...