FEM tool pages, names

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

FEM tool pages, names

Post by bernd »

We had some discussions about the FEM command names. See viewtopic.php?f=21&p=148615#p148615 and viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17724&start=30#p148614

Basically it is about the Fem in the command name of all FEM tools.

BTW. We had a discussion about the FEM tools already. We renamed them on the FEM_Module page already. See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16795

I'd like to continue the discussion over here.

I do not mind if the wiki pages do not follow python module names.

@fandaL:
Before we change somthing big I'd like to get the opinion of renatorivo, he is the wiki hero. He takes care on the wiki.

bernd
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: FEM tool pages, names

Post by renatorivo »

Hi,

I'm a little confused, but in my humble opinion:

The page title should be equal to the command name, exactly as it is in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... kbench.cpp
for example: Fem Analysis
Yorik: The reason for this is that so these pages are picked by the "What's this?" button in FreeCAD...
Fem-analisi.png
Fem-analisi.png (4.05 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
The template {{GuiCommand...}} may be, for example, "Name=FEM Analysis|MenuLocation=FEM → New mechanical analysis" with spaces, to be easily readable

In the texts, as NormandC says, must be FEM
NormandC: And there's another problem: the command page name shouldn't be starting with "Fem" but with "FEM"! It's an acronym for finite element method, therefore all letters should be capitalized.
Other thing is
NormandC: In the command name as well (FEM_FEMMesh2Mesh)
It must be decided by the programmers. It is more consistent, but it's a big job for them. At the moment all the commands name are Fem.
It would be good to avoid repetition and to shorten the names. Ex. Fem_FemMesh2Mesh -> FEM_Mesh2Mesh

Renato
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

renatorivo wrote:It would be good to avoid repetition and to shorten the names. Ex. Fem_FemMesh2Mesh -> FEM_Mesh2Mesh
I have not followed all discussion on FEM, but I believe there's a difference between a "FEM Mesh" and an ordinary mesh. "Mesh2Mesh" might not be descriptive enough.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Renato, thanks for the explanation. It explains a lot :)
renatorivo wrote:The page title should be equal to the command name, exactly as it is in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... kbench.cpp
for example: Fem Analysis
Yorik: The reason for this is that so these pages are picked by the "What's this?" button in FreeCAD...
Fem-analisi.png
I was not aware of this. We did ask the wrong question! It is not a question of changing Wiki pages title it is a question of changing all command names of FEM. I must admit I like FEM much more thane Fem since Fem is just the wrong in sense of spelling. Since mainly I keep track of the Worbench.cpp file from FEM I may give it a try to change the command to see what impact this would have. They need to be changed in the files where they have be defined too. I assume no module or file has to be renamed. But this will take some time because I'd like to get my femmeshregion development branch into master first.

NormandC wrote:
renatorivo wrote:It would be good to avoid repetition and to shorten the names. Ex. Fem_FemMesh2Mesh -> FEM_Mesh2Mesh
I have not followed all discussion on FEM, but I believe there's a difference between a "FEM Mesh" and an ordinary mesh. "Mesh2Mesh" might not be descriptive enough.
Norman is on the right track there is a difference between a FEM mesh and a mesh and the command converts a FEM mesh into a mesh. But it should be Fem_FEMmesh2Mesh. But I would leave the command name for now. I keep it in mind if I do the changes from above.

bernd
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

bernd wrote:Norman is on the right track there is a difference between a FEM mesh and a mesh and the command converts a FEM mesh into a mesh. But it should be Fem_FEMmesh2Mesh. But I would leave the command name for now. I keep it in mind if I do the changes from above.
+1
It was my mistake.

Renato
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

changed it, see git commit 5f5797e
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

bernd wrote:changed it, see git commit 5f5797e
Preview for Template: FEM tools:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/WikiPag ... _FEM_tools

Renato
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

may I change some very small text?
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Change what you want. This is the list of tools as it appears in FrreCAD daily. Fem_ is now FEM_
When the Template is fine we create all the pages FEM_Tool
Perhaps the icons will be aligned to guidelines.

Renato
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

renatorivo wrote:Change what you want. This is the list of tools as it appears in FrreCAD daily. Fem_ is now FEM_
When the Template is fine we create all the pages FEM_Tool
I changed the most important. I may add some descriptions, but this could be done later too.
renatorivo wrote:Perhaps the icons will be aligned to guidelines.
Wow that would be cool.