FEM tool pages, names

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
bernd

FEM tool pages, names

Postby bernd » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:16 am

We had some discussions about the FEM command names. See viewtopic.php?f=21&p=148615#p148615 and viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17724&start=30#p148614

Basically it is about the Fem in the command name of all FEM tools.

BTW. We had a discussion about the FEM tools already. We renamed them on the FEM_Module page already. See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16795

I'd like to continue the discussion over here.

I do not mind if the wiki pages do not follow python module names.

@fandaL:
Before we change somthing big I'd like to get the opinion of renatorivo, he is the wiki hero. He takes care on the wiki.

bernd
renatorivo

Re: FEM tool pages, names

Postby renatorivo » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi,

I'm a little confused, but in my humble opinion:

The page title should be equal to the command name, exactly as it is in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... kbench.cpp
for example: Fem Analysis
Yorik: The reason for this is that so these pages are picked by the "What's this?" button in FreeCAD...

Fem-analisi.png
Fem-analisi.png (4.05 KiB) Viewed 520 times

The template {{GuiCommand...}} may be, for example, "Name=FEM Analysis|MenuLocation=FEM → New mechanical analysis" with spaces, to be easily readable

In the texts, as NormandC says, must be FEM
NormandC: And there's another problem: the command page name shouldn't be starting with "Fem" but with "FEM"! It's an acronym for finite element method, therefore all letters should be capitalized.

Other thing is
NormandC: In the command name as well (FEM_FEMMesh2Mesh)

It must be decided by the programmers. It is more consistent, but it's a big job for them. At the moment all the commands name are Fem.
It would be good to avoid repetition and to shorten the names. Ex. Fem_FemMesh2Mesh -> FEM_Mesh2Mesh

Renato
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:25 am

renatorivo wrote:It would be good to avoid repetition and to shorten the names. Ex. Fem_FemMesh2Mesh -> FEM_Mesh2Mesh

I have not followed all discussion on FEM, but I believe there's a difference between a "FEM Mesh" and an ordinary mesh. "Mesh2Mesh" might not be descriptive enough.
bernd

Postby bernd » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:23 am

Renato, thanks for the explanation. It explains a lot :)

renatorivo wrote:The page title should be equal to the command name, exactly as it is in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... kbench.cpp
for example: Fem Analysis
Yorik: The reason for this is that so these pages are picked by the "What's this?" button in FreeCAD...

Fem-analisi.png
I was not aware of this. We did ask the wrong question! It is not a question of changing Wiki pages title it is a question of changing all command names of FEM. I must admit I like FEM much more thane Fem since Fem is just the wrong in sense of spelling. Since mainly I keep track of the Worbench.cpp file from FEM I may give it a try to change the command to see what impact this would have. They need to be changed in the files where they have be defined too. I assume no module or file has to be renamed. But this will take some time because I'd like to get my femmeshregion development branch into master first.

NormandC wrote:
renatorivo wrote:It would be good to avoid repetition and to shorten the names. Ex. Fem_FemMesh2Mesh -> FEM_Mesh2Mesh

I have not followed all discussion on FEM, but I believe there's a difference between a "FEM Mesh" and an ordinary mesh. "Mesh2Mesh" might not be descriptive enough.
Norman is on the right track there is a difference between a FEM mesh and a mesh and the command converts a FEM mesh into a mesh. But it should be Fem_FEMmesh2Mesh. But I would leave the command name for now. I keep it in mind if I do the changes from above.

bernd
renatorivo

Postby renatorivo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:08 pm

bernd wrote:Norman is on the right track there is a difference between a FEM mesh and a mesh and the command converts a FEM mesh into a mesh. But it should be Fem_FEMmesh2Mesh. But I would leave the command name for now. I keep it in mind if I do the changes from above.

+1
It was my mistake.

Renato
bernd

Postby bernd » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:56 pm

changed it, see git commit 5f5797e
renatorivo

Postby renatorivo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 pm

bernd wrote:changed it, see git commit 5f5797e

Preview for Template: FEM tools:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/WikiPages#Sandbox_for_FEM_tools

Renato
bernd

Postby bernd » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:33 am

may I change some very small text?
renatorivo

Postby renatorivo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:11 am

Change what you want. This is the list of tools as it appears in FrreCAD daily. Fem_ is now FEM_
When the Template is fine we create all the pages FEM_Tool
Perhaps the icons will be aligned to guidelines.

Renato
bernd

Postby bernd » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:00 am

renatorivo wrote:Change what you want. This is the list of tools as it appears in FrreCAD daily. Fem_ is now FEM_
When the Template is fine we create all the pages FEM_Tool
I changed the most important. I may add some descriptions, but this could be done later too.

renatorivo wrote:Perhaps the icons will be aligned to guidelines.
Wow that would be cool.