Importing SVG from inkscape

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
renatorivo
Veteran

Importing SVG from inkscape

Post by renatorivo »

Maybe I had not asked the right place https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20917
I repeat.
From the wiki page Import_text_and_geometry_from_Inkscape I read
the svg-import in FreeCAD cannot handle a svg file with a resolution of more than 45 dpi, so check the settings in inkscape
In Inkscape I could not find any option to set the resolution for the SVG format, only for PNG and more.
SVG is a vector format.
I'm wrong, or we must correct page?
Thanks,
Renato
triplus
Veteran

Re: Importing SVG from inkscape

Post by triplus »

Hi Renato.

As for the size and units. Inkscape 0.91 and earlier used a value of 90 pixels per inch and this value changed in Inkscape 0.92 to 96 pixels per inch. It could be SVG importer/exporter in FreeCAD could assume 90 pixels per inch in some operations. And the size of imported/exported geometry could turn out to be of different size compared to the expectations (this is only assumption). But as for the:
the svg-import in FreeCAD cannot handle a svg file with a resolution of more than 45 dpi, so check the settings in inkscape
This information doesn't make any sense and can be removed.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Importing SVG from inkscape

Post by chrisb »

I had seen the other post and had a look at the inkscape settings. I didn't respond because I couldn't find anything, but perhaps it is worth mentioning, that inkscape doesn't use the unit "dpi" at all. I cannot see the applicability of that restriction. To be sure a developer should have a look at the code and if a corresponding restriction exists after all, give a hint how to build an example that doesn't fulfil the requirement.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.