Recommendation: "object" to "Glossary"

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Cyber3DK

Recommendation: "object" to "Glossary"

Post by Cyber3DK »

Recommendation: add the term "Object" to the Wiki "Glossary" (https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.p ... e=Glossary)

Rationale: "object" is a frequently used term. E.g., search the Glossary to see where "object" is used to describe another term.

Suggestion: the entry for "Feature" is quite nice.

Regards.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Recommendation: "object" to "Glossary"

Post by NormandC »

Hi,

I recommend you post suggestions for the wiki in the forum dedicated to it here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=21

In the Help forum, your suggestions may be overlooked and forgotten, but in the Wiki forum they will be monitored by wiki contributors.

Thanks.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

NormandC wrote:I recommend you post suggestions for the wiki in the forum dedicated to it
.. moved!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks!

To other contributors: an "object"'s definition is quite large I think. Do you agree on the following?
  • An object is a generic term that can define any entity in FreeCAD, be it a vertex, edge, face, workbench-specific element, etc. and even a mesh
  • A shape is also a generic term that defines any entity apart from meshes (in other words it only defines CAD entities, and I believe this is based on OCC's own definition)
Now we need a description for entity as well :P
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

I don't know how it's supposed to be in user's language. But in freecad-coder-user language, word "object" usually refers to a DocumentObject, which is anything that shows up as an entry in model tree (apart from "Application" and project entries).

An object may have a shape. May not (e.g. Part containers don't, Groups don't). Some objects don't have shape, yet show up in 3d view (e.g. origin features such as XY Plane). Some objects have no shape and no 3d view representation, e.g. Spreadsheet.

"Feature", when used outside of PartDesign, usually means the same as "Object". In PartDesign, the meaning of the word "Feature" is a bit more specific.