Tutorials for Part Design Beginners

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
quick61
Veteran

Tutorials for Part Design Beginners

Post by quick61 »

Normand suggested that we start a new thread in the Wiki section pertaining to my thoughts on several of us more proficient users knocking out a few written "beginner" tutorials that would help the new users become accustom to the workings of the Part Design Workbench. This came about from a thread in the Help section where a new user was practicing building a 3D model from an isometric drawing.

It was in this thread that I suggested we do a few tutorials around this concept. My thinking on having several of us do one as there are many ways in Part Design to get from start to finish and each of us has their own way of going about the task. Exposing a new user to those methods and allowing that user to gain the experience through working the tutorials should provide a good foundation upon which to build.

The parts should be relatively simple in their construction, like the folowing -

A simple image search on Google for "dimensioned drawings" or "mechanical drawing exercises" will turn up plenty of examples or just make up a part your own self.

So, if anyone is interested, maybe we should start with volunteers posting which particular part they are going to do so there is not any duplication of a project and have at it.

If your really feeling froggy, it sure wouldn't hurt to have an accompanying video to go along with it. ;)

To get things started, I'll get one underway using this drawing -

Any other takers?

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
bejant
Veteran

Re: Tutorials for Part Design Beginners

Post by bejant »

I'll help, but I want to make sure we aren't inadvertently doing someone's homework...
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

I should have mentioned that my intention with video tutorials was to start modeling with simple parts, and evolve into making more complicated models. I didn't want to make too many video tutorials because at that time I was thinking that the Assembly WB would be released, the workflow of creating models would change, and my tutorials would soon be obsolete.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Quoted from the thread Mark referenced in the OP:
quick61 wrote:Taking these examples and working them in FreeCAD is a great idea. Maybe a few of us should take a a couple of the simpler ones (or better, do the Drawings our own selves), and write up a couple of beginner tutorials with them.
I agree and think we should provide a drawing of each part, dual dimensioned in metric and imperial units.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Hello.

Basically a very good Idea Mark.

Let me give you some advice (learned from my german youtube channel).

The refinement of shapes is something new for complete novices in 3D CAD.
So you have to explain that somewhere.
Either turn automatic refinement on or doing it manually via GUI.
And the "refine shape" command is in the part module workbench.

That will cause extra questions.
And if you provide an example file with dimensioned drawing you will surely be asked
"How did you do that ? Will there be another tutorial ?" :)

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I've managed to get all my screenshots done, the drawing done, and now about 1/4 or the written part. I'm already thinking I should of just went with video. :shock: But it's the written tutorials (or lack there of) in the Wiki that need some TLC so...

The Drawing gave me a few little fits and I ended up doing some minor editing in Inkscape in the interest of time. I'll bring that up in the Help section after I get this tutorial in the bag.

Mark
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

OK, now I just feel down right stupid. :oops:

I can not for the life of me figure out how to start a new tutorial page. Start a new Macro page, no problem. but a tutorial page?? I know I have done this before and looked for an answer but...

So please, will someone throw me a bone?

Mark
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

quick61 wrote:OK, now I just feel down right stupid. :oops:

I can not for the life of me figure out how to start a new tutorial page. Start a new Macro page, no problem. but a tutorial page?? I know I have done this before and looked for an answer but...

So please, will someone throw me a bone?

Mark
Hi Mark
I have not created one before but I thought all you had to do was type in the URL you want, when the system can't find it (because it does not exist yet) it asks you if you want to create it...just say yes..does that work?

Jim
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Thanks Jim!, that does work. :)

I knew it was something simple, but just couldn't remember.

Mark
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Got the first Basic Part Design Tutorial up. Anyone that want's to take a look and let me know if I came close, missed by a mile - feel free. :) Find any typos, please feel free to correct, any glaring mistakes or anything that might require anything that looks like work to fix, please let me know so I can fix it.

Thanks!

Mark