TabBar

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: TabBar

Post by triplus »

HoWil wrote:Thanks for this fresh, interesting and new interface.
You're welcome.
* An option to turn all toolbars (outside tabbar) for all workbenches at the same off. I had to go through all wbs and turn toolbars (in selector menu... not sure ... Toolbars ->Off)
Directly (without loading all workbenches) i can't think of a way ATM. But what could be done is to have "auto" mode. And if enabled on workbench activation workbench toolbars would show/hide based on the setting. Without the need for the user to do that manually in each workbench.
* in Draft wb some of the toolbars resist against swichting them off. E.g. 'Draft snap' I select them to hide as mentioned above and after swichting to another wb and back they are again visiblle.
Yes this is known behaviour. Arch/Draft workbenches have 2 Python based toolbars. And they use their own system to show/hide them.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=13509
* How about Separators to visually group the filled in toolbars. Otherwise I am lost in to many equally visualized icons. Maybe I did not used it right.
The truth is initial idea was to bring tabs to FreeCAD for being able to change workbenches. As this can't be done in a straightforward way on main window level tabs where made available inside of the FreeCAD window. As dock widgets are positioned below toolbars i took the approach to make commands available inside a dock widget. And the dock widget to have tabs. Although a lot of work and research was needed to get this implemented potential user more or less didn't adopt this solution as viable. But on the up side a lot of other modules came out of it that users are actually using on a regular basis. As for the TabBar project itself. It currently has roughly 4 scopes of functionality in it and i decided to separate them. Less complex code base, easier to figure out by the end users... should be the results. Therefore your proposal makes sense for the command panel module. Separator functionality is already more or less implemented. And i did have some prototypes for adding "spacer" in layout. But i am not sure if it is needed for a panel with some workbench specific commands on it. As its main use case won't be what TabBar does ATM. But to more or less be useful as a simple panel with some commands on it.
* Is it possible to use this in fullscreen, like autohide it on the upper edge of the screen? Would be really nice :!:
PieMenu has the ability to be made available above FreeCAD 3D View area when in full screen mode. But you soon notice that due to the lack of Tree View and Property View you can't do much work with just commands being available.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Status report:
This pieces of functionality where moved from TabBar to standalone modules. Some are more or less done and polished (Selector toolbar) and others like Command panel are currently in WIP state. Command panel module has much in common with PieMenu module and therefore expect some development there too.

P.S. I plan to remove this functionality from TabBar module in not that distant future.
the_document

Post by the_document »

I would like to have text under icons this addon it should be compact, I hope ribbon UI becomes the standard toolbar view in FC.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

the_document wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:37 am I would like to have text under icons this addon it should be compact, I hope ribbon UI becomes the standard toolbar view in FC.
Command panel is the successor of the mentioned functionality as seen in TabBar. Therefore this functionality will get removed from TabBar in the future (once command panel development goals are reached). In addition command panel already supports text under icons mode for buttons.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Tabs.png
Tabs.png (57.57 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Tabs
  • Removed autoload functionality
  • Removed command panel functionality
  • Removed selector toolbar functionality
  • Icon, text and icon and text tabs style support
  • Configurable tabs and menu entries and their position
  • Custom corner widget menu support for West And East orientations
  • Auto detect or manually set tabs orientation based on the toolbar orientation
  • Accessories menu support
  • Artwork
  • Updated readme
SchmilBlick

Post by SchmilBlick »

Great module!
Maybe tooltips on the tabs headers would be nice?
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bits - FreeCAD daily-build - FreeCAD 0.17
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

SchmilBlick wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:56 pm Great module!
Thanks.
Maybe tooltips on the tabs headers would be nice?
Done.
SchmilBlick

Post by SchmilBlick »

I love FreeCAD and its community
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bits - FreeCAD daily-build - FreeCAD 0.17