TabBar

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: TabBar

Post by triplus »

Well while we are at global toolbars i just found out global toolbars are preventing me to explore mentioned approach with tabs on main window level as when clicking on a tool on global toolbar i don't know what exactly happens but i doesn’t look good. It looks like somehow global toolbars are messing with the main window.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

I have been using global toolbar for an hour and it works pretty good but I find 2 big problems:
  • you don't know where you are, I mean, you push the button and the workbench is loaded, but you actually don't have a visible way to see it (with tabbar you always know which one is the active one)
  • you cannot have the option to choose between icon, icon+text or just text as you have done with TabBar
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Both things could be achieved on toolbar level. First one will probably be supported on widget level after next release phase is over. Therefore on toolbar level it should work basically the same.

But for anything on toolbar level it would need to be done as global toolbar and in C++. Workbench icons need to be converted to SVG first and there should be consensus this is what it should be done ... I might explore toolbar level as additional option further in TabBar in the future but there are big issues preventing me to do that.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

triplus wrote:Well while we are at global toolbars i just found out global toolbars are preventing me to explore mentioned approach with tabs on main window level as when clicking on a tool on global toolbar i don't know what exactly happens but i doesn’t look good. It looks like somehow global toolbars are messing with the main window.
Luckily it turned out i probably assigned some strange keyboard shortcut combination that was affecting this. As after i started fresh the problem was gone!

I was a bit worried for a second. ;)
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

triplus wrote:
triplus wrote:Well while we are at global toolbars i just found out global toolbars are preventing me to explore mentioned approach with tabs on main window level as when clicking on a tool on global toolbar i don't know what exactly happens but i doesn’t look good. It looks like somehow global toolbars are messing with the main window.
Luckily it turned out i probably assigned some strange keyboard shortcut combination that was affecting this. As after i started fresh the problem was gone!

I was a bit worried for a second. ;)
Great, hehehe
drei

Post by drei »

Just started using the plugin, and it is a great experience. Thanks for making this.

Any chance to add this to master?

We could set it as an option for an end user to choose between this and the other experience through a toggle in the preferences.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

drei wrote:Just started using the plugin, and it is a great experience. Thanks for making this.
You're welcome.
Any chance to add this to master?

We could set it as an option for an end user to choose between this and the other experience through a toggle in the preferences.
I guess it's too soon for that ATM. Once i implement the features i would like to have and once other users are satisfied with the abilities TabBar provides. I guess then will be the time to discuss what makes the most sense.

P.S. I investigated a bit and explored a few ideas and there might be a possibility to support workbench buttons on toolbar level.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

triplus wrote: ...
P.S. I investigated a bit and explored a few ideas and there might be a possibility to support workbench buttons on toolbar level.
Cool, I can't wait to try it out :P
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Improvements implemented:
  • Tab position on Mac
  • Preferences: toolbar tab improved button behaviour
  • Preferences: toolbar tab improved UTF-8 label text support
@pablogil can you confirm this changes fix observed issue on Mac regarding shifted tabs?

Thanks!
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

triplus wrote:Improvements implemented:
  • Tab position on Mac
  • Preferences: toolbar tab improved button behaviour
  • Preferences: toolbar tab improved UTF-8 label text support
@pablogil can you confirm this changes fix observed issue on Mac regarding shifted tabs?

Thanks!
Solved!
The default style works perfectly but on my styles (Dark and Light stylesheets) crops just 1 pixel, so I think it's solved.