Merging hamish2014/assembly2 into v0.17, help wanted

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Merging hamish2014/assembly2 into v0.17, help wanted

Post by NormandC »

I don't have use for Assembly2 at the moment, and I'm spending a little more of my free time on things unrelated to FreeCAD these days...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote:
triplus wrote:Start, discuss, propose, code ... now.
Yes, as someone who has waited as long as you to see the mythical Assembly workbench, I agree 100%... but even if a stand-alone effort, without PD Next knowledge (I'm not talking about its development, just awareness and understanding of it), it can only be utterly counter-productive.
The problem is there is way too much emphasize put on PartDesign NEXT when it comes to Assembly. Sure there could be a container and you could put things in it. And Assembly could use that. But what about the other 95% of the work needed to be done not directly related to that? That can start happening as soon as somebody is willing to put some effort in it. Waiting doesn't really help here anymore.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

in my opinion c++ makes only sense if speed is a problem. Assembly2 is very nice, and many things can be learned from it. So to me it would make sense to put all efforts regarding assembly into the Assembly2 module.

Also in general it is a good way to go from python to c++ and not the other way. Development on python is simple faster then c++. And the problems are visible earlier...

I had a brief look at assembly2 and actually it was already nearly working with python3. Some remaining things are ported with this PR: https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_a ... 2/pull/134
CADennis

Post by CADennis »

I have rarely seen a controversy in which each argument by every party was so intelligent and right. Really impressing. In fact you are not argueing at all, just listing conflicting requirements. I was not aware of easyw-fc's serious and successful attitude towards being the new owner and maintainer of assembly2. That looks like the perfect solution for your FreeCAD team. How you care for and value contributions that were not well aligned and handed over, makes you a very winsome developer community that will motivate new contributors. Good job, guys! I'll concentrate my efforts then on the CI topic, complex enough.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes the Assembly thing is complex enough by itself. All that solver and math stuff, importing of geometry to make assemblies in a way it makes sense and things like that... Anyway i hope a developer or two working on this aspect of FreeCAD emerges soon and for things to progress further. Like it happened with the Assembly 2 effort when it was under strong and active development.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

CADennis wrote:I was not aware of easyw-fc's serious and successful attitude towards being the new owner and maintainer of assembly2
Hi @CADennis
Please consider that I'm not the new A2 owner...
I just added some commits to align Assembly2 to FC0.17 and added some functions I needed for my way of using the A2 WB...
It was a pity that A2 was not fully usable in FC017 (I tend to use it instead of FC0.16 because of the new STEP improvements related to hierarchy and App::Part) so I decided to step in... but I would appreciate any other contribution for this great WB...
looo wrote:in my opinion c++ makes only sense if speed is a problem. Assembly2 is very nice, and many things can be learned from it. So to me it would make sense to put all efforts regarding assembly into the Assembly2 module.
+1 from my side...
A2 has many useful functions to align parts that can be considered something essential for FreeCAD IMO...

An other interesting evolution for Assembly would probably come also from the STEP hierarchy exporter that will enable hierarchy in saving a mechanical model...

Maurice