tutorials for my NURBS macros

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
emills2

tutorials for my NURBS macros

Post by emills2 »

i made some tutorial for my project http://edwardvmills.github.io/NURBSlib_EVM/

the tutorials are
here https://github.com/edwardvmills/NURBSli ... cCurve4.md
and herehttps://github.com/edwardvmills/NURBSli ... ge%2001.md

These tutorials cover 4 macros out of about 15 macros required to produce something like this:
Bezier primary Surface Volume 66-02.bmp.png
Bezier primary Surface Volume 66-02.bmp.png (762.37 KiB) Viewed 3143 times
Specifically, the tutorials show:
-how to make control polygons
-how to use the polygons to make curves
-how to use the polygons to make grids
-how to use grids to make surfaces
-how to use FreeCAD 0.17 for 3D sketching

This documentation stuff is a ridiculous amount of work :?

If more than one person posts pics of a surface model made with the macros, i might make more tutorials. don't force yourself :lol: i'd rather make new functionality than tutorials.

There may be some small mistakes...i am very tired. If you try the tutorial and something doesn't work, absolutely let me know, i spent a lot of time on it, and i want everyone who tries it to at least not feel they wasted their time on a non functional system.
triplus
Veteran

Re: tutorials for my NURBS macros

Post by triplus »

My suggestion to you would be to finish the tutorials. As without them there is less chance for users using your tools. Simply due to the fact users wouldn't know how!

P.S. I will complete the second tutorial in the following week.
emills2

Post by emills2 »

triplus wrote:My suggestion to you would be to finish the tutorials. As without them there is less chance for users using your tools. Simply due to the fact users wouldn't know how!

P.S. I will complete the second tutorial in the following week.
Thank you for doing the first one :)

-do you have any feedback about the system as a far as designing rational bezier curves?
-any feedback about the style of the first tutorial?

You are right that without instructions, clearly no one but me will ever use it . ( actually Chris_G did give try it a year ago. Thanks Chris_G!)

Maybe i'm the only one crazy enough to use it anyways! I don't want to push anyone to do anything. The whole point of open source (to me) is you don't have to listen to anyone, you CAN do it your way.

I've seen some people on this forum get very frustrated because they convince themselves that the public NEEDS their tutorials/videos. They spend outrageous amounts of efforts preparing materials, and then barely anyone even looks at it! Some people react strangely at that point :( i really really don't want to be one of those guys :lol:

I'm just trying to gauge people's appetite. If someone says "that's interesting, how did you do it?" should i just answer "macros" or should i say "let's begin with the DeBoor recursive definition and derive the two bases cases used in the library at this stage"?

My goal is to make this stuff easy in the long term. In the meantime, some aspects are functional at the level of a library, and can produce useful models.

Anyways, thanks to everyone on this forum for all the help i've received. I'm not trying to push my way over anyone. I do wish someone had time to evaluate it tho :) . Microelly's NURBS strategy looks very good too, and Abdullah just added NURBS directly in the sketcher as well, so i think FreeCAD is going to be the most powerful NURBS modeler in no time flat.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

emills2 wrote:-do you have any feedback about the system as a far as designing rational bezier curves?
-any feedback about the style of the first tutorial?
It was easy to follow. As you included details and images and things like that. You didn't assume everybody else knows what should be done just because you know what should be done.
I've seen some people on this forum get very frustrated because they convince themselves that the public NEEDS their tutorials/videos. They spend outrageous amounts of efforts preparing materials, and then barely anyone even looks at it! Some people react strangely at that point :( i really really don't want to be one of those guys :lol:
Tough luck, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Reference:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19736

It's noted in the tutorial CubicSurface44.FCMacro file is needed but the actual name of the file is CubicSurface_44.FCMacro. I tried the tutorial twice and at the page 5 last step the result was the same both times:
click the ControlGrid44 macro
ControlPoly.png
ControlPoly.png (11.53 KiB) Viewed 2991 times

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/ControlGrid44.FCMacro", line 31, in <module>
    if mode=='4sided':
<type 'exceptions.NameError'>: name 'mode' is not defined
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

It's nice to see these tutorial, it's easy to follow them.

As said time ago your work is interesting and I'm sure that people will use them when the have recognized the power of nurbs surfaces.
I see a growing interest in nurbs design. And any use case is different.

In the German forum there are more and more of us who create gif animations

see example https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 87#p160014

recording the workflow is a faster way to give a first impression. no extra time is needed.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

This looks like it could be relevant:

Code: Select all

curves do not share endpoints
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "NURBSlib_EVM.py", line 1555, in execute
    if quad41[0]!=poles4[0] and quad41[0]==poles4[-1]:
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: 'int' object has no attribute '__getitem__'
Anyway i followed the tutorial step by step @emills2. By using the provided file as a starting point and everything. Therefore i am guessing if you will do the same you should get to the same error easily before you get to page 6.

P.S. Take your time with tests and possible fixes or suggestions.
emills2

Post by emills2 »

@Triplus, can you upload your file please :)?
Last edited by emills2 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
emills2

Post by emills2 »

Deleted. Incorrect.
Last edited by emills2 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
emills2

Post by emills2 »

Deleted. Incorrect.
Last edited by emills2 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.