Part-o-magic [New: Selection tools, container duplication]

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Part-o-magic (again) [now in add-ons]

Post by triplus »

We discussed on how to create global toolbar from Python here. And the corresponding pull request can be found here:

https://github.com/DeepSOIC/Part-o-magic/pull/12
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Part-o-magic (again)

Post by DeepSOIC »

Now, Part-o-magic will automatically create a small global toolbar.
Inkedglobal toolbar_LI.jpg
Inkedglobal toolbar_LI.jpg (757.88 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
If you don't like it, you can go to Tools->Customize->Toolbars->Global, and untick it.
You can also customize it to your taste there. If you want to reset it to default state, delete it, and part-o-magic will recreate the toolbar on next start-up.

Thanks @triplus for helping out. Even though I refused his PR, I used it as a resource to copy-paste from.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Followup: toolbar with PoM PartDesign tools is now automatically added to PartDesign workbench.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

DeepSOIC wrote:Followup: toolbar with PoM PartDesign tools is now automatically added to PartDesign workbench.
Dear DeepSOIC,
I played a bit with PoM and do have some questions related the reorganization of a model. For instance if I have two PoM parts and want to shift a PartDesignNext-Body from one part to the other, how do I have to do that. I have made a simple test case and an according screencast please see:

:arrow:
fc.webm
screencast of moving Part-Design-Next into an other PoM-Part.
(883.01 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
The structure of the PDN-Body is lost after moving the Body to the other PoM-part. I manually have to organize everything. Is this the way it is or did I miss a thing? This is for sure a showstopper for really big models where you are not able to realign every feature by hand.

The other question I have is related to newly created axes on the main level next to the two parts after moving the body (please see the screencast). Where are they from? Are the lost or no more needed/duplicates?

Thanks in advance,
HoWil
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

HoWil wrote:The structure of the PDN-Body is lost after moving the Body to the other PoM-part.
Hi!
Unfortunately, it's a FreeCAD bug at the moment (you should experience the same loss of structure even if you disable PoM observer). So I'm afraid reorganization is fundamentally screwed up as of now.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Yes, it works badly currently. I have a fix for this and hope to make a pull request soon. (well, said this often enough and still its not done :oops: I try my best)
cox

Post by cox »

ickby wrote:(well, said this often enough and still its not done :oops: I try my best)
No pressure, remember the motto: it's done when it's done, you are doing great work.

It is better to take your time and have fun, then pressure yourself and burn out.

Thank you, so much for your efforts :D
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

I have a new tool in part-o-magic: Morph Container.
It's not yet totally done, but mostly it works. Now I need an icon. And so far, I failed to come up with a decent idea for the icon, so I ask for help here.

Here's how the tool works. Let's say, you have a Group in some your old project, and it would be nice to convert it into Part. This is where the tool comes in.
1. Select Group. Invoke the tool.
The tool does nothing yet, it switches into a waiting state. It waits for you do define the new container.
2. You create a new Part.
The tool reacts, moves all the content of Group into the new Part, copies as much properties as it can, redirects all links... and deletes the original Group. Essentially tries to make it look like it used to be a Group, and now it's Part.
triplus
Veteran

Re: Part-o-magic (again) [icon ideas for new tool wanted!]

Post by triplus »

Like a new migration tool from current PartDesign model to PartDesign NEXT model? Or what should it do and should be used for?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Part-o-magic (again) [icon ideas for new tool wanted!]

Post by DeepSOIC »

Ahhh, that stupid PartDesign refuses to make a Part container for old-partdesign projects! And in PoM I just re-used Part creation button... Gotta replace it now.