SheetMetal WB migration to 0.17

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: SheetMetal WB migration to 0.17

Post by shaise »

Hi NormandC,

Indeed deriving from PartDesign::Feature is my plan. I too like the flat model of PartDesign. However this will probably take some time to implement as it involves many small details most of which I'm still not aware of, I'm sure.
Nevertheless I will give it a try.
I'm still trying to understand the full concept of the new Part and Body. So I better start with that before adding anything to it.

shai
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Great! :)

A good starting point is the FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices topic in the Help forum.
shaise

Post by shaise »

Great! this is exactly what I was looking for.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I did some tests and i have a feeling Fasteners WB doesn't work with FreeCAD 0.17 anymore in the way it works with FreeCAD 0.16. When for example inserting fastener by preselecting the hole it doesn't "fit" in the correct place anymore (as it does in FreeCAD 0.16).

Can you confirm this?
shaise

Post by shaise »

Hi Triplus,

Yes, Unfortunately I can confirm it does not work correctly on 0.17.
I'm still struggling to make Sheet Metal work, and when I have time I will try to fix Fasteners as well.

shai
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Thanks for confirming and take your time. As a lot of things have changed. Adapting to this changes will i guess need to happen in a lot of macros/modules.
shaise

Post by shaise »

triplus wrote:I did some tests and i have a feeling Fasteners WB doesn't work with FreeCAD 0.17 anymore in the way it works with FreeCAD 0.16. When for example inserting fastener by preselecting the hole it doesn't "fit" in the correct place anymore (as it does in FreeCAD 0.16).
Hi triplus,

I have fixed the "fit" feature of the fasteners WB to work with 0.17. This fix is commited to the github repository, so it can be used if you want. There are still some issues with some of the fasteners (generating errors) so I'm still working on it.

shai
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

shaise wrote:Hi triplus,

I have fixed the "fit" feature of the fasteners WB to work with 0.17. This fix is commited to the github repository, so it can be used if you want. There are still some issues with some of the fasteners (generating errors) so I'm still working on it.

shai
I did a few tests and can confirm fastener when inserted now fits correctly again.

Thanks.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Hi Shaise,

I am a small contributor to FC 0.17, and really loved to see your WB working. I even tried to understand why it is not integrated upstream (ok, there might be some reasons like licensing or whatever), but I will be a strong supporter for such things to happen. As we are designing computer, Sheet Metal is at the heart of our needs. I am currently working hard on improving STEP (put it on the side, to fix the bugs which had been allocated to me, but will get back on track now, as I mostly fixed/closed most of them now).

Are you far away from making it work at the present time ? If not then I will start to have a look probably next week. In fact, I am facing the same challenge than the one you face with the STEP reader that I will move from the traditionnal Compound/Part::Feature to the new workflow which shall reduce a lot the memory footprint and improve the smoothness of STEP file browsing. Just keep us posted on your progress !

vejmarie
shaise

Post by shaise »

Hi Vejmarie,

The sheetmetal workbench is very basic. It was supposed to be a temporary solution until JMG will complete his version which from the videos looked far better then mine. Unfortunately he did not complete it. But even though it was very basic, I used it a lot since it saves a lot of time when designing sheetmetal.
The unfold function of the workbench is not mine, its ulrich1's.
I really want it to integrate seamlessly with the new part design workflow. However I'm a bit at a loss how to make that using pure python. I was looking for a simple python example to use it as a reference, but didn't found one yet.
Any help with that will be greatly appreciated.
Regarding licensing, I have no problem whatsoever to change it to any license whatsoever.

shai