Woodworking - getDimensions

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dprojects

Re: Woodworking - getDimensions

Post by dprojects »

jaisejames wrote:Say cupboard external size 2 x 1.2 x 2ht meter. Final assembled size.
What I understand is that you need final size of the furniture (cupboard in this case)? But this macro creates spreadsheet (list) with parts (chipboards made of FreeCAD cube objects) to cut (in market or cut service). This is not for showing final furniture dimensions, this you can already achieve with TechDraw easily or by normal dimensioning and measuring option in FreeCAD (just by measuring the furniture edges n the 3D model).

I would propose another macro for that, something like "measuring 3D objects" or something like that and then we should think about, how to measure or how to find the most outer edges of the furniture. If I understand what you mean correctly.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
jaisejames

Post by jaisejames »

Ok. Thank you for support.

I need to add some extrusions & clamps etc along with quantity. :)
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

jaisejames wrote:I need to add some extrusions & clamps etc along with quantity. :)
Cutting service don't care about final furniture size or other things not related to cutting wood. You need to know all those things at the design model step, during cutting is too late. Also it would mess up the spreadsheet list. Sorry. Consider FreeCAD TechDraw module instead.
jaisejames wrote:Ok. Thank you for support.
You are welcome. Waiting for more comments and issues.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 75#p203175
salp wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 am Python 3 tools have greatly simplified the process, I have tested some code to manipulate LibreOffice (any module not just calc) and it's pretty straight forward in a regular python session.

From what I've seen the current spreadsheet workbench is extremely useful but limited, if we can automate the process of launching LibreOffice in the background ad establish the communications link with FreeCAD automatically without any user intervention then we will gain all the functionality of LibreOffice and we can concentrate on the code to only transfer data in both directions.

I know this is very vague, I'm hoping to be able to post the initial macro code by the end of the month.

Sal
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

wow, this is cool one ! Great you have added some sceens at your github to show really what it does.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

bernd wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:45 am wow, this is cool one ! Great you have added some sceens at your github to show really what it does.
Thanks, I always looking for something well-descibed with screenshots to see how it works, so this is why I always add screenshots to my projects.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:25 am https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 75#p203175
salp wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:13 am Python 3 tools have greatly simplified the process, I have tested some code to manipulate LibreOffice (any module not just calc) and it's pretty straight forward in a regular python session.

From what I've seen the current spreadsheet workbench is extremely useful but limited, if we can automate the process of launching LibreOffice in the background ad establish the communications link with FreeCAD automatically without any user intervention then we will gain all the functionality of LibreOffice and we can concentrate on the code to only transfer data in both directions.

I know this is very vague, I'm hoping to be able to post the initial macro code by the end of the month.

Sal
Interesting, I haven't tested this yet but if this preserve spreadsheet formating (bold text and table borders), this should be fine for me.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

acousticguy

Post by acousticguy »

dprojects wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:57 pm Any comments and issues are welcome.
Great script. It was almost exactly what I was looking for.

Is there a nice way to set the display units to inches in the Macro? This would be much nicer than having to edit the cells in the spreadsheet using the UI.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

acousticguy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:38 pm Is there a nice way to set the display units to inches in the Macro? This would be much nicer than having to edit the cells in the spreadsheet using the UI.
Here is the English version. https://github.com/dprojects/getDimensi ... sionsEN.py
This should work also with US metric system. One thing that need to be changed is this line (square meters):

sqm = (quantity[key] * size1 * size2 / 1000000).Value

this should be recalculated to square inches or just removed.
acousticguy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:38 pm Great script. It was almost exactly what I was looking for.
Why almost? only because of the metric system or there is something more that could be changed?

Thanks for the issue. I will try to release also version for US metric system (but I have to learn it first because I am not from US) and will release it. Tell me exactly what You need there.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

dprojects wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 am Thanks for the issue. I will try to release also version for US metric system (but I have to learn it first because I am not from US) and will release it. Tell me exactly what You need there.
Hey dprojects, can you also make sure that the script is py3/qt5 friendly (by testing it in the py3/qt5 Conda appimage (if you're on linux) ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs