Disconnected objects in 0.17 Python script

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Disconnected objects in 0.17 Python script

Post by ickby »

A body does expose a shape which is the result of all PartDesign modeling steps. So you can use the body directly in any operation you like, booleans etc. so make your script output a PartFeature and than simply use all normal Part tools with that PartFeature and the Body
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

ickby wrote:A body does expose a shape which is the result of all PartDesign modeling steps. So you can use the body directly in any operation you like, booleans etc. so make your script output a PartFeature and than simply use all normal Part tools with that PartFeature and the Body
Well that works. Good to know. Of course, now I'm stick with a box on the corner of my tower! :lol:

Seriously though, this seems a little backwards to me. Wasn't the Part Design workflow supposed to be the all in one superset of the Part workflow? Or is that just a misconception on my part? I'm still struggling a bit to understand the intent here.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

grandcross wrote: Seriously though, this seems a little backwards to me. Wasn't the Part Design workflow supposed to be the all in one superset of the Part workflow? Or is that just a misconception on my part? I'm still struggling a bit to understand the intent here.
It is a missconception. PartDesign tries to simplify things for the GUI user. Of course that means lot of logic withing the tools/features, which makes it automatically harder for the coders to comply with all requirements. so it is still possible to add things to PartDesign from script, just more complicated.

That said I think we are going to extend th ePartDesign boolean to allow adding arbitrary things to it from outside PartDesign.
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

Well, thanks for the help. I think I have a better understanding about how it all fits together now so this was time well spent for me. Keep up the good work to all who are working on Part Design. I look forward to the final product.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

grandcross wrote:Wasn't the Part Design workflow supposed to be the all in one superset of the Part workflow?
It's more like PartDesign is a highly specialized workbench while Part is more generic.

PartDesign only deals with single contiguous solids, while Part can create any type of shapes: vertex, edge, wire, face, shell, solid, compound... (except meshes which are not considered "shapes")

The PartDesign workbench was initially intended by the project's founder to only deal with prismatic parts. A "Surface Design" workbench would deal with advanced shapes made from sweeps or loft. I'm happy that this idea was put aside and that both sweep and loft tools were added to PartDesign.

I'd put PartDesign on the same level as the Arch workbench: they both provide specialized tool sets, one geared toward mechanical engineering and the other toward architecture; both are based on the Part module.
ickby wrote:That said I think we are going to extend th ePartDesign boolean to allow adding arbitrary things to it from outside PartDesign.
That's great!