Arch Panel Cut from padded sketch doesn't work.

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Arch Panel Cut from padded sketch doesn't work.

Post by sliptonic »

Starting with a sketch, if I create an Arch Panel and then a Panel cut, I get an object with a collection of edges. A panelsheet from the panelcut also works correctly.

Next I tried padding the sketch, then select the pad (or body) and creating an Arch Panel from it. The pad turns brown and becomes a Panel in the tree, but when I try to create a Panel Cut from it, nothing is shown and the object.Shape has an empty edge list.

Am I missing a vital step?
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Arch Panel Cut from padded sketch doesn't work.

Post by sliptonic »

A few other weird things I'm seeing with panel cuts and sheets. I'll add bugs if these are anything other than my misunderstanding.

Below, the panel, cut, and sheet all have placement set to 0,0,0, but the cut is offset left and below the panel. It may not be important butI don't know where this offset is coming from.
snapshot-10.png
snapshot-10.png (4.4 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
If I create a sheet and a cut unrelated, then double click the sheet, I should be able to add the sheet. However, I can't see anything in the list to add to the group. If I create the sheet by selecting one or more cuts, I can remove them, but they are unavailable to re-add.

Double click into the panelsheet and then click the 'Edit View Positions' You get a black square node for the position of each panelcut and one more. I'd expect this is to adjust the position of the sheet. It's not. Dragging it seems to change the position of the sheet tag. This might be intentional or a bug.

It would be nice if the panelsheet tag defaulted to the sheet label or used the same substitution string that the panelcuts use.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

sliptonic wrote:Am I missing a vital step?
No, I just think I didn't consider that case :)

Although the panel itself can be based on any solid, I believe panel cuts will only work well if the panel is based on a 2D shape (and therefore generate its own extrusion). But it should be fairly easy to support Part Extrusions and PartDesign Pads too, I'll have a look at it

About your other bugs I need to look better. Could you attach the file that shows the offsetted panel problem?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

yorik wrote:
sliptonic wrote:Am I missing a vital step?
No, I just think I didn't consider that case :)

Although the panel itself can be based on any solid, I believe panel cuts will only work well if the panel is based on a 2D shape (and therefore generate its own extrusion). But it should be fairly easy to support Part Extrusions and PartDesign Pads too, I'll have a look at it

About your other bugs I need to look better. Could you attach the file that shows the offsetted panel problem?
Thanks Yorik. File is attached. The offset is NOT causing me any problem at the moment, it's just strange. The placements coming from the panelsheet are correct for generating the path.

Not being able to add panelcuts to an existing sheet is a bigger problem since the user would have to delete the sheet and re-add it with the panelcuts selected. I don't see a work-around.
Attachments
laserpanel.fcstd
(23.35 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Okay, I had a look at your file.

1) The offset is because of how the panel cut works: It extracts the base wire of the panel, then rotates it into the XY plane and translates it to the (0,0,0)origin point. So you can have a big assembly of panels, located anywhere in space, all the panel cuts will spawn around the (0,0,0) point. I'm not sure it's the most clever idea, buy it seemed better to me than leaving it under the panel itself, where it could be hard to notice and select.

Ideally, when creating panel cuts from several panels, they should be placed in a nice kind of array... Or even more ideally, already come automatically nested :)

2) It is possible to add a panel cut to an existing panel sheet. It works like other Arch objects, double-click the sheet to enter edit mode, select the cut, select the "Group" in the task panel, and press the "Add" button.

This system is still a bit clumsy and should be bettered, I should implement drag&dropping from the tree (i think it's possible now in python view providers), and not be forced to click the "Group" after you select an object.
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

sliptonic wrote: Next I tried padding the sketch, then select the pad (or body) and creating an Arch Panel from it. The pad turns brown and becomes a Panel in the tree, but when I try to create a Panel Cut from it, nothing is shown and the object.Shape has an empty edge list.

Am I missing a vital step?
I had to do this during the week-end: needed to flip a part due to stock constraints[1], after much fumbling around ended up with:

* create simple copy -> mirror -> hide original
* attempt to generate path contour, was only seeing one edge
* try to make panel from the mirrored part, Path was still unable to come up with a contour, edge profile was only seeing one or two edges
* what did work eventually was creating a panel based on a shape binder, then panel cut -> sheet -> Path contour

[1] let's say I measured wrong once, cut wrong twice - second time because I forgot to upload fixed g-code, then the only way that part was going to fit the remaining material was if I flipped it