Development suggestions for the Arch workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Renato Rebelo

Development suggestions for the Arch workbench

Post by Renato Rebelo »

hello yorik,
I was testing new part design workbench and it seems to me that it can solve some problems related to moving objects with references in arch workbench.
the question is whether that objects such as floors and buildings could not behave like the new part objects (container), moving all the objects that are inside of them keeping the relative positions between them?
what do you have thought to the development of Arch workbench?
thanks for the work and dedication to the community FreeCAD
Renato Rebelo
my native language is not English, please excuse me any incorrectness, I apologize for any inconvenience caused, thank you
yorik
Founder

Re: Development suggestions for the Arch workbench

Post by yorik »

This might be a good idea actually, make the floor become a body. This should certainly be tested, see if it can contain arch objects, etc. The floor object could then not be only a floor anymore, but any kind of "joining" of objects. Interesting!
Renato Rebelo

Post by Renato Rebelo »

Yes,
but do not know whether it should be body or Part as defined here Part. A part is not related to PartDesign but is a new general FreeCAD element. It provides a local coordinate system and can be used to group any kind of FreeCAD stuff and move it as one unit. This will be the future basis for assemblies.
or if the floor must be body and the building must be Part. But I think it would be useful for moving an entire building or a floor or any group of objects Arch is very complicated because they do not maintain the relative positions between them ...

Renato
my native language is not English, please excuse me any incorrectness, I apologize for any inconvenience caused, thank you
F_Rosa

Post by F_Rosa »

Hello Renato and Yorik,

Without disrupting the discussion, but trying to contribute to it, when we select certain objects to move and/or rotate them, it would be possible to include the option to select the primitive objects (dependencies) instead of the final objects, something like what happens when we select objects to copy them ? I believe this could help a lot when we have many objects to move and / or rotate ...

Francisco.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

F_Rosa wrote:Without disrupting the discussion, but trying to contribute to it, when we select certain objects to move and/or rotate them, it would be possible to include the option to select the primitive objects (dependencies) instead of the final objects
That is not a simple thing, because rotating the dependencies would give very different results, and probably almost never what you want. In any case, if we begin to use the PartDesign stuff, this whole workflow will have to be reviewed, so there is little sense in working on that right now.

In any case, let's keep this in a corner of our minds...
Renato Rebelo

Post by Renato Rebelo »

Hello Yorik,
Following previous posts, I've been testing the placement of arch objects within floor objects, and now they already behave more or less as expected with the exception of windows that do not follow the placement of walls / floor.
To solve this I have been trying to use the expressions to constrain the windows with the walls but this is not possible because it creates a circular reference.
You think you can solve this limitation. It would be a great development for the work bench Arch.
In Attachment the file to test.

Renato Rebelo

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9082 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8d1bea8d608502abb93b54de6dc844c4ab2acf1b
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
Attachments
teste.FCStd
(113.24 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

It's not easy at all to solve... Basically the wall needs to window, in order to know what opening to do, and the window then needs the wall too.
One solution I tested is to create a new wall, so the window can still depend on the previous wall. You can enable that behaviour in the arch preferences, have you tried?
Renato Rebelo

Post by Renato Rebelo »

Yes, I have tried it, but it does not work because the new wall is created out of the floor, and when I put it back inside the floor the problem comes back again.
I think what we need is a kind of "BodyOrigin" identical to that of the partdesign, to link all abjects from the same floor to that origin without creating a circular reference. ;)
thank you,
Renato
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes, I'd really like to use the PartDesign structure more in Arch... But have no clear idea yet on how best to do that