arch section plane question

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
flokart

arch section plane question

Post by flokart »

The arch section plane is a impressive nice tool to create draftshape2dview but i have no idea which logic is behind the positioning of the 2dshape.
Only the xy plane create a 2d shape in the exactly same position but zx and zy not. Maybe someone can explain how its possible to get a 2d shape in the same position like the section plane.
It seams all shapes were created it the xy direction but the normal orientation of the section plane and the 2d shape is not the same.

This is the result that i get.

This is what i would prefer.

Hopefully someone can explain the logic behind the 2dshape position outcome....maybe its a workflow thing.

this is my first real effort to get a productive workflow...the dimensioning workbench 2 is also very nice but it gets slow if the model becomes more and more complex. To use cutshape is more flexible because i can handle different layers.

Big thanks in advanced ....i start loving freecad more and more like blender .
yorik
Founder

Re: arch section plane question

Post by yorik »

Yes this is a known problem that comes from the OpenCasCade and is hard to solve. The OCC algorithm that projects shapes in 2D takes only a direction vector. So we have no way to specify the orientation (the projection can rotate freely around that axis), so far I haven't been able to find what rule is used, it sometimes looks totally random.

BTW, you last image here above, are the 2D line drawings made with freecad?
flokart

Post by flokart »

thanks yorik for the quick response.

Yes the 2D line drawings are made witch freecad .Last time a commission realised with freecad to get a 2d linedrawing with all relevant lines for a 1:1 scaled hospital counter. The flexible svg format and the power of inkscape provide a good workflow to get linedrawings like these.

This week starts the production.

Thanks for clarification that the discriped 2dcutshape behaviour is known. I will invest more time in that to get the best workflow.
Is there a way to boost the dimesion drawing workbensh or what is the fastest workflow in this workbensh.
In conclusion freecad seams to be pretty solid for parametric modeling so a big thanks to all who are involved.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

flokart wrote:Is there a way to boost the dimesion drawing workbensh or what is the fastest workflow in this workbensh.
At the moment it is the best we have, but there is the new TechDraw workbench that should be merged pretty soon (already in the pull requests section of this forum)