Can't export drawings from Arch (Freecad 0.16) [SOLVED]

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Trenien

Can't export drawings from Arch (Freecad 0.16) [SOLVED]

Post by Trenien »

As the title says.
I tried following Yorik's Arch tutorial to generate elements in the drawing view, but no such luck. I don't get either if I try to simply select what I want and use the Draft Drawing Tool that but it doesn't work either (it actually does something for a couple of seconds and generates a page with elements in the sub tree, but when I open that page, there's nothing on it).

I simply don't get what I'm doing wrong. Help?
Last edited by Trenien on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorik
Founder

Re: Can't export drawings from Arch (Freecad 0.16)

Post by yorik »

Trenien wrote:I simply don't get what I'm doing wrong.
Me neither :D If you could try to explain better what you are doing, which step exactly from the tutorial fails...
Trenien

Post by Trenien »

Ok, I guess I wasn't clear enough.

So, in order :
- I made a model of a house in freecad (still incomplete, but I have what I need right now
- Following the tutorial, I made a simple file using 'step file' export, which I then opened.
- In this file, I made a number of SectionPlanes, which did allow me to get direct views in Freecad with the Draft Shape2DView tool.
- However, when trying to make Drawing Views, using the Draft Drawing tool, I had no luck. I first as indicated in the tutorial (select a section plane and use the Draft Drawing tool), which produces a page with a 'View of Section' object, but it actually is blank (the object doesn't show up at all).
- If I try to use the same Draft Drawing Tool directly (selecting the parts I want), it again creates the page with, this time, a number of View objects (one for each selected part), but it shows nothing.

I hope this is clearer
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Okay, the reason is probably this: the contents of your View is way outside the limits of the page, so you don't see it. Unfortunately the Drawing module has no tool to automatically recenter a view. There is one in drawing_dimensioning, though, and also TechDraw does that automatically.

Otherwise try changing the scale of the view to something much smaller like 0.01 and set X and Y to something between 100 and 500
Trenien

Post by Trenien »

That was it, thanks. I'd thought about changing the scale, but not the coordinates.