Unable to export rebars to IFC

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
cnirbhay

Re: Unable to export rebars to IFC

Post by cnirbhay »

yorik wrote:The problem is, the radius is already written into the IFC file by FreeCAD. But other applications export additional properties so when they read the file back, they can do special things with these properties. Revit does that a lot. But it is not something that is part of the IFC definition, it's each application that chooses to do like they want.
Yes, exactly. This is the catch. Revit & others are violating the IFC somehow, they will be exposed.
yorik wrote:So we need to know which IFC property needs to be there for solibri to see the radius. If you discover that, we can implement it in FreeCAD.
Ya, sure. I'll explore the IFC file of Revit in detail and find those additional properties.
yorik wrote:As for how IFC is implemented in FreeCAD, it is a much too big question to be responded here in a simple way. We basically use IfcOpenShell, and everything happens in src/Mod/Arch/importIFC.py. The insert() function takes care of importing, while the export() function does the export. I suggest you look at that file, and check the ifcopenshell website, there are a couple of python examples there that show how it works.
Alright, thanks. I'll go through the references you mentioned. :-)
@Amrit3701, we need to have a look at these.
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

yorik wrote: As for how IFC is implemented in FreeCAD, it is a much too big question to be responded here in a simple way. We basically use IfcOpenShell, and everything happens in src/Mod/Arch/importIFC.py. The insert() function takes care of importing, while the export() function does the export. I suggest you look at that file, and check the ifcopenshell website, there are a couple of python examples there that show how it works.
Thanks, Yorik. I will go through src/Mod/Arch//importIFC.py and ifcopenshell.
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Might be interesting for you rebar guys. I tried to import some reinforcement into FreeCAD. See viewtopic.php?f=10&p=160487#p160487
cnirbhay

Post by cnirbhay »

bernd wrote:Might be interesting for you rebar guys. I tried to import some reinforcement into FreeCAD. See viewtopic.php?f=10&p=160487#p160487
Yes, sure. Thank you. :-)
chakkree

Post by chakkree »

Now, Beam with rebar cannot export to IFC file format.

BeamWithRebar.png
BeamWithRebar.png (446.98 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
ExportBeamRebar.png
ExportBeamRebar.png (205.27 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
BeamWithRebar.FCStd
(62.63 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
------------------------
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.12772 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c8c9b76f43d2c78c4afb65b756f3f07d626aac85
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Indeed... the bars get faceted before export, which makes them huge, and they are exported as BuildingElementProxy, and the beam doesn't get exported. I'll try to fix that ASAP
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

allplan uses swept disk solid for export of rebars to ifc, a good idea imho. https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpen ... ingBar.ifc