Unable to export rebars to IFC

A forum dedicated to the Arch module development
cnirbhay

Re: Unable to export rebars to IFC

Postby cnirbhay » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:38 am

yorik wrote:The problem is, the radius is already written into the IFC file by FreeCAD. But other applications export additional properties so when they read the file back, they can do special things with these properties. Revit does that a lot. But it is not something that is part of the IFC definition, it's each application that chooses to do like they want.

Yes, exactly. This is the catch. Revit & others are violating the IFC somehow, they will be exposed.

yorik wrote:So we need to know which IFC property needs to be there for solibri to see the radius. If you discover that, we can implement it in FreeCAD.

Ya, sure. I'll explore the IFC file of Revit in detail and find those additional properties.

yorik wrote:As for how IFC is implemented in FreeCAD, it is a much too big question to be responded here in a simple way. We basically use IfcOpenShell, and everything happens in src/Mod/Arch/importIFC.py. The insert() function takes care of importing, while the export() function does the export. I suggest you look at that file, and check the ifcopenshell website, there are a couple of python examples there that show how it works.

Alright, thanks. I'll go through the references you mentioned. :-)
@Amrit3701, we need to have a look at these.
amrit3701

Postby amrit3701 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 am

yorik wrote:As for how IFC is implemented in FreeCAD, it is a much too big question to be responded here in a simple way. We basically use IfcOpenShell, and everything happens in src/Mod/Arch/importIFC.py. The insert() function takes care of importing, while the export() function does the export. I suggest you look at that file, and check the ifcopenshell website, there are a couple of python examples there that show how it works.

Thanks, Yorik. I will go through src/Mod/Arch//importIFC.py and ifcopenshell.
bernd

Postby bernd » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Might be interesting for you rebar guys. I tried to import some reinforcement into FreeCAD. See viewtopic.php?f=10&p=160487#p160487
cnirbhay

Postby cnirbhay » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:45 pm

bernd wrote:Might be interesting for you rebar guys. I tried to import some reinforcement into FreeCAD. See viewtopic.php?f=10&p=160487#p160487

Yes, sure. Thank you. :-)