LEGO Meets BIM : Villa Savoye

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Nico7as

LEGO Meets BIM : Villa Savoye

Post by Nico7as »

Hi everyone,

As an ARCHICAD user, I came across a very good BIM case study: LeCorbusier's Villa Savoye, made in LEGO.

The study is made Bond Bryan Architecture, one of the top architecture firm using ARCHICAD.

Since it's more a BIM study than an ARCHICAD study, I think that it would be make an equivalent in FreeCAD.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time, nor I'm expert enough in FreeCAD, so I can't do it.

What do you think?
Link :
http://bimblog.bondbryan.com/page/2/?s= ... mit=Search
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: LEGO Meets BIM : Villa Savoye

Post by Kunda1 »

Nico7as wrote:Hi everyone,

As an ARCHICAD user, I came across a very good BIM case study: LeCorbusier's Villa Savoye, made in LEGO.

The study is made Bond Bryan Architecture, one of the top architecture firm using ARCHICAD.

Since it's more a BIM study than an ARCHICAD study, I think that it would be make an equivalent in FreeCAD.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time, nor I'm expert enough in FreeCAD, so I can't do it.

What do you think?
Link :
http://bimblog.bondbryan.com/page/2/?s= ... mit=Search
Reminds me of these threads
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20013 (Voxel WB)
and https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10802 (Playing with Anker Stones)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Nico7as

Post by Nico7as »

In this case, the main goal isn't to play with virtual bricks, but to work with the datas embedded in each brick.

It really is a BIM project.

It can also be used to work on visualisation and Level Of Development / Level Of Details.

I think it's a great model to work with.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Very nice presentation / guide around some of the BIM things, but I believe we will first still have to work some more before we can play :)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Is there an IFC file of that model somewhere? Couldn't find any. Would be interesting to see how it behaves with freecad...

I've been experimenting a bit recently with "assemblies" of small elements in Arch, such as bricks:

Not 100% sure of what would be the best workflow there, and also it quickly turns a model very heavy, so it has to be handled with care, but there is a bunch of interesting questions coming in. I'd be curious to see how they managed it... Wil need to read the whole posts series I guess :)
Nico7as

Post by Nico7as »

Hi Yorik,

If I'm not mistaken, they're supposed to release the model eventually it's seems not ready yet.

I have got the LEGO model, but I'have absolutely no time to model each and every brick in freeCAD right know. maybe next year...
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

yorik wrote:Is there an IFC file of that model somewhere? Couldn't find any. Would be interesting to see how it behaves with freecad...

I've been experimenting a bit recently with "assemblies" of small elements in Arch, such as bricks:

Not 100% sure of what would be the best workflow there, and also it quickly turns a model very heavy, so it has to be handled with care, but there is a bunch of interesting questions coming in. I'd be curious to see how they managed it... Wil need to read the whole posts series I guess :)
Sorry for being oftopic, but I think that bricks should be done with a big solid with lines on the surface.

It could be interesting to open a new thread for this.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.