Window cutting hole on adjacent wall.

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

Window cutting hole on adjacent wall.

Post by regis »

Window tool seems to cut hold on adjacent wall when the height property is changed before insertion.
Link to youtube video.
https://youtu.be/Bi8V63jUW4k

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10476 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: b6150097e9cf4d7b0f5ad71f2f8750f2e7aac0d9
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-03-15 12-27-27.png
Screenshot from 2017-03-15 12-27-27.png (195.19 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
yorik
Founder

Re: Window cutting hole on adjacent wall.

Post by yorik »

Set the "Hole Depth" property of the Window to a value smaller than the distance between the two cut walls, for ex. 50cm
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

regis wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:32 pm Window tool seems to cut hold on adjacent wall when the height property is changed before insertion.
Link to youtube video.
https://youtu.be/Bi8V63jUW4k
I have similar situation recently - I do not remember I had this problem previously / need to manually set the window hole depth - thought it had been resolved since earlier discussion e.g.....
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... f=3&t=4695

I just do not find the pattern when window will cut through every walls (e.g. a Arch Wall object based on a sketch with multiple lines) or the wall selected... quite random seemingly....

A problem due to recent added host properties to window object? Or it may be related to how ArchWall generate walls based on sketch - I am testing to use Sketch to draw the layout and I find a number of cases ArchWall do not generate properly walls when sketch is not simple single lines....

EDIT - Should the hole depth be automatically be the host wall thickness? Again, dependency problem?

With a rectangle & a few lines in a sketch - seem no problem
Screenshot from 2017-10-22 23-49-19.png
Screenshot from 2017-10-22 23-49-19.png (230.28 KiB) Viewed 3288 times

With a nos of lines in a sketch - the opposite wall get cut too
Screenshot from 2017-10-22 23-47-57.png
Screenshot from 2017-10-22 23-47-57.png (260.14 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
With a nos of lines in a sketch - each windows only cut 1 wall each
Screenshot from 2017-10-22 23-57-16.png
Screenshot from 2017-10-22 23-57-16.png (197.6 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
regis

Post by regis »

paullee wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:03 pm I have similar situation recently - I do not remember I had this problem previously
Yup, that's freecad, sometimes it surprises you.

paullee wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:03 pm A problem due to recent added host properties to window object? Or it may be related to how ArchWall generate walls based on sketch - I am testing to use Sketch to draw the layout and I find a number of cases ArchWall do not generate properly walls when sketch is not simple single lines....
Never been aware of the new host properties to window object, in a general way i feel this is not supposed to work well on the a sketch with multiple layout because the window is based on it's sketch, and the sketch is based on the plane of the face of the wall, so if you have many angular walls for example, my guess is that the window will not adapt well. but then i need to understand code to see what's going on under the hood.

paullee wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:03 pm EDIT - Should the hole depth be automatically be the host wall thickness? Again, dependency problem?
I've been wondering if that should be a permanent fix for that issue, but for now it seems to work just fine for me.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

regis wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:28 pm
I've been wondering if that should be a permanent fix for that issue, but for now it seems to work just fine for me.
Previously, I use Arch wall object for almost every each straight section of wall, then Arch Win/door on these walls before any need to group / combine them.

No problem about cutting i think.

But, then this worflow is problematic for design devlopment because the layout needs to be adjusted from time to time, these individual objects are difficult to adjust their relative position. (AutoCad i used to have dim and i stretch a portion of the layout to adjust it - haven't found an efficient way inFC yet)

Then Sketch with its distance constraints seem to be more efficient for this updating.

But there is other sides issue, window / door opening seem to be another one i drop into.

Any better worflow out there?
(sorry, off topic)
regis

Post by regis »

hahaha inspite of the fact that I don't yet have the magic wand to create these tools, i'll say that generally speaking, freecad challenges do offer an opportunity to think differently and come up with a creative solution. i.e develop a better workflow for its current capabilities, even-though of course a few handy functionalities and tools that speed up the work flow is great.
From the way I read you, you must be working on a pretty sizeable project for that to matter. Since on the small projects that I've been doing for tutorials, it's easy to get away with adjusting things manually since the amount of objects are not so great.

What exactly are you running into as far as the windows and doors? i'll be interested to investigate that as I learn python. Can't promise a fix but it could be a issue to observe the dynamics while learning.
So far i'm still trying to make sense of how a simple code becomes a visual object in the freecad window.
regis

Post by regis »

paullee wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:14 pm But, then this worflow is problematic for design devlopment because the layout needs to be adjusted from time to time, these individual objects are difficult to adjust their relative position. (AutoCad i used to have dim and i stretch a portion of the layout to adjust it - haven't found an efficient way inFC yet)
hahaha inspite of the fact that I don't yet have the magic wand to create these tools, i'll say that generally speaking, freecad challenges do offer an opportunity to think differently and come up with a creative solution. i.e develop a better workflow for its current capabilities, even-though of course a few handy functionalities and tools that speed up the work flow is great.
From the way I read you, you must be working on a pretty sizeable project for that to matter. Since on the small projects that I've been doing for tutorials, it's easy to get away with adjusting things manually since the amount of objects are not so great.

What exactly are you running into as far as the windows and doors? i'll be interested to investigate that as I learn python. Can't promise a fix but it could be a issue to observe the dynamics while learning.
So far i'm still trying to make sense of how a simple code becomes a visual object in the freecad window.
regis

Post by regis »

paullee wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:14 pm But, then this worflow is problematic for design devlopment because the layout needs to be adjusted from time to time, these individual objects are difficult to adjust their relative position. (AutoCad i used to have dim and i stretch a portion of the layout to adjust it - haven't found an efficient way inFC yet)

paullee wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:14 pm But there is other sides issue, window / door opening seem to be another one i drop into.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

regis wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 pm

paullee wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:14 pm But there is other sides issue, window / door opening seem to be another one i drop into.

At the moment, only that Arch Window hole depth cut through a number of wall annoy a little as I am testing using sketch to draw basic layout.

Not really any really project in fact. Just experimenting if sketch is better for sketching layout, modifying, constraining / standardizing a few bay distance etc.

As an example, a layout for following was required:-
- a number of rooms A of each 3.5m width / 6m long
- room B area 15 sq.m.
- room C area 18 sq.m.
- room D area 12 sq.m.
- room E area 10 sq.m.
etc.

Now, the requirements changes (say due to structural requirements) - array of rooms A needs 3.6m bay, 6.2m long. Other room just add 2 sq.m. each.

Thinking how to more easily handle similar kind of changes / ordinary design development without moving each line / walls one by one, altering dimension each by each, calculating each room area in a calculator... further adjusting....

As said, I would in AutoCAD conceiving how to group stretch a numbers of lines... rooms A would be in Block and array... it also have a boundary(?) (forgetting more & more the actual ACAD commands in fact :) ) to measure 'room' area... I am not having too much idea in FC currently.

p.s. Python helps - though with limited documentation i need to ask a lot in forum for many helps kind peoples offer to come up with a little script :)
(further offtopic!)

Just test sketching layout with sketcher
Screenshot from 2017-10-25 01-50-32.png
Screenshot from 2017-10-25 01-50-32.png (160.4 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
regis

Post by regis »

paullee wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:29 pm Thinking how to more easily handle similar kind of changes / ordinary design development without moving each line / walls one by one, altering dimension each by each, calculating each room area in a calculator... further adjusting....

As said, I would in AutoCAD conceiving how to group stretch a numbers of lines... rooms A would be in Block and array... it also have a boundary(?) (forgetting more & more the actual ACAD commands in fact ) to measure 'room' area... I am not having too much idea in FC currently.
Oh yeah, I was thinking of something similar, because i was about to get into the large scale design an controls, this is why understanding programming can help me further enhance this aspect. I saw microelly work on a very promising idea(that of creating base sketches that can be uploaded/reuploaded, while maintaining constraints links, this will be super effective for this kind of purpose) however i need to get under the hood to make sense of it my self so I can better adapt it should there be a need to, so that is gaving me alot of ideas for what you are refering to. In opnion, a possible work around is that if you think of the x-ref concept. Inside freecad it self, you can reference many layers of lines to depend on other lines. so the idea is that the base line doesn't change much, just a duplicate of the line will change with the minor alerations you want, and then just replug, so that the walls adapt to the new lines. i think that is a more efficient way to deal with immediate changes. Now the next part is how to deal with just sections of a project, since this trick works only with lines, not 3d. So much to think about. lol

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

this functionalities are dangerously capable if well put together for architectural needs i tend to think.