Arch Wall Cladding

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: Arch Wall Cladding

Post by paullee »

That's very kind of you providing very detailed procedure!

I just can't figure out how you make the 'extrusion', no same data / properties field in my created facebinder in my file.... I am checking part extrude, thickness etc.

I am figuring out if I can achieve making cladding / surface for external wall, whilst another surface / shell for interior, so that I can develop a model for rendering in e.g. Blender. I found Blender had some nice tools either.

So, Q1 is how to add the extrusion.

Q2 is I note your facebinder is like padding 2 individual faces, so that there is a 'birdmouth' joint at the corner edge - which is good for some case in fact.

I am testing if 'thickness' tool can help - I have some 'projection' on my facade and it seem it help to create 'cladding' like surface offsetting from that solid.

yorik wrote:Like this:

screenshot.jpg

The extrusion of the facebinder is not perfect (one sees the "sides" of the extruded faces), not sure if I can make that better...

About your problem, there is no ready solution for that yet (We definitely need something to "slice" solids to add new edges), but what I would do is
1) create a volume that intersects your wall exactly where you wan to split that face
2) subtract that volume from the wall
3) from the same volume and wall, create an intersection
4) turn the intersection into a wall as well
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

I am testing thickness (which seem not perfect for the Arch Object for my facade which have so many wall, structure, windows added on maybe...), and then cut the 'extra internal' face by original window!

(I still want to know how thickness is added to the facebinder you did!)

The detailed idea is:-

1. Make a draft Thickness out of original composite form (as original if possible as I am simplifying for study). The 'cladding' wrapped around the window openings would cover both external and internal face divided by the window, which is not my target.

2. Then, I make the Thickness into an Arch Object (as you mention in your blog).

3. As the cladding around the window sides is 'protruding' into the original window frame, now subtract the (original possible?) window opening from the Thickness Arch Object with Hole Depth to control how much 'internal' face / cladding is removed.

The below image (based on a slightly simplified form without too much projection) is not unsuccessful yet - you can see my window is at 'wrong' position, so it subtract the wrong external surface.
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 02-38-44.png
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 02-38-44.png (252.69 KiB) Viewed 2727 times

Seems original complicated facade had problem with thickness, still testing...
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 01-25-12.png
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 01-25-12.png (230.81 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
With a simplified form, applying thickness to individual elements, turn them into Arch objects, then it look like this:-
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 01-36-52.png
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 01-36-52.png (247.19 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

When the form is complicated (I guess)...
Draft Thickness return a dialog:- Input error / BRepAlgo_Image::Bind

This is annoying, but with the workaround which is quite non-intuitive (take out some projection and re-combine different parts formed by a few nos. of Draft Thickness), I make a 'cover-like' object over the original facade and then 'trim' back the portion which should be interior, i.e. inside the window plane:-

There are 3 openings in my example, the 2nd and 3rd in the back is created with Thickness without further cutting. The 1st one close to view is 'trimmed' back by the original window sketch, by adjusting its disposition and hole depth. You may note there is a 'step' between interior/exterior (window hidden) in this 1st opening; the 'cover' are flush against internal wall face for the 2nd and 3rd opening.

If the problem (my problem or not?) on the Part Thickness could be sorted out, that will be great!
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 12-54-57.png
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 12-54-57.png (228.13 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 12-56-03.png
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 12-56-03.png (228.71 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
Cover only - the 'cover' around 1st opening is shorter after trimming
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 13-10-58.png
Screenshot from 2016-12-11 13-10-58.png (252.74 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The facebinder has an Extrusion property. But I added that only a month ago I think, so you need a fairly recent version of FreeCAD. Alternatively, explode the facebinder in separate faces with Draft Downgrade, then extrude the faces individually...
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

It is a pity I am on Fedora. Need to learn how to compile now! :D Thanks.
yorik wrote:The facebinder has an Extrusion property. But I added that only a month ago I think, so you need a fairly recent version of FreeCAD. Alternatively, explode the facebinder in separate faces with Draft Downgrade, then extrude the faces individually...
Trenien

Post by Trenien »

Hi,
I'm still working on my project and I'd figured out how to model the exterior cladding (though I didn't know it could be turned into a wall).

My problem now is that I don't understand how to do that :
yorik wrote:Then, you can subtract the window from it like if it was a normal wall (the same window that you already subtracted from the base wall).
Testing, I've seen that if I made two simple, parallel walls and merged them, that idea worked. Unfortunately, the merge doesn't work with the complex objects the walls have become. So, what did I miss ?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Trenien wrote:My problem now is that I don't understand how to do that :
Select the window, CTRL+select the wall (or the cladding), and press the Arch Remove button (the blue minus icon)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

In fact, I tried Arch Add or Add Remove the window, they both act same subtract an opening in the wall.

Any difference unknown to me?
yorik wrote:
Trenien wrote:My problem now is that I don't understand how to do that :
Select the window, CTRL+select the wall (or the cladding), and press the Arch Remove button (the blue minus icon)
Trenien

Post by Trenien »

thanks. I was doing it the other way...
Renato Rebelo

Post by Renato Rebelo »

yorik wrote:The facebinder has an Extrusion property. But I added that only a month ago I think, so you need a fairly recent version of FreeCAD. Alternatively, explode the facebinder in separate faces with Draft Downgrade, then extrude the faces individually...
Hello,
I think I found one more bug ...
The extrusion of the facebinder for me does not work, whatever value you insert nothing happens.
thank you,
Renato

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9256 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: b97f93c5a806814d3f24ab95be500121d72fa765
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
my native language is not English, please excuse me any incorrectness, I apologize for any inconvenience caused, thank you