Arch Wall Cladding

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Pauvres_honteux

Re: Arch Wall Cladding

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

@paullee
In my test, it doesn't seem to traverse Array or Mirror object :?:
Hmm, is this true for old Part and new PartDesign?
What if one plank would be represented by one Body and one complete wall cladding by one Part?

Or is this a matter of having to wait for Assembly, then make one plank = one Part ?
That would yield a lot of files but one would definitely have absolute control over that single plank! And you would only need to send one file to the manufacturer/sawmill, i.e. no missunderstandings.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Pauvres_honteux wrote:Hi there, I'm a bit curious how to get the total length of all planks used for cladding? Or the total length of a certain plank cross section dimension used in a complete house/project?
That depends on how you modelled your planks. But if you kept everything parametric, obtaining the total length is fairly easy. For example, imagine one plank is a rectangle (the plank section) that you extruded in some direction (the plank length) then that you duplicated with an array. In a spreadsheet cell, you could then write an expression like = Extrusion.Length1 * Array.NumberZ, you would get the total length. If you modelled otherwise, it's just a matter of finding which property of which object holds the needed information.
paullee wrote:- But the schedule result is not shown in FreeCad itself (See FreeCad on same screenshot)
Yes that is a known bug, but I couldn't find what is wrong yet :(
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote: Yes that is a known bug, but I couldn't find what is wrong yet :(
There are quite some new tools currently but it's a pity the the Arch Schedule is not fully working yet (IFC schedule works?).

I am using and exploring FC for a few months intermittently and it seems promising to be developed as a BIM parametric tool (to enable calculation of properties in cladding as mentioned, door and window schedule e.g.?). I used Autocad quite sometime ago for and have not used Revit personally (other peoples in the team model some projects with it). FC emphasized it is still in development though it is quite usable in architectural modeling I found, one thing to note is that BIM chairman here indicates those commercial products would not like to work on IFC to make information fully exchangeable but FC may has this advantage!

However, I still have difficulties in finding documentation on FreeCAD on some fundamentals to comprehend its concept behind :oops: (enable me feel fully control it and/or to move on to Python like I used LISP sometime ago - I do not know Python currently though (maybe it can help division in cladding, like tiling in Autocad). I simply haven't found details on e.g.-
- name, label, type, role... (so that I can know exactly how to set up the 'function'/'formula' in Arch Schedule)
- more 'advanced' information or properties organized in FC like what you mention ... Extrusion.Length1 * Array.NumberZ
- or just even freecad 'coordinate' / 'spatial' system and properties (local and global xyz?,normal etc.)

I am quite confused sometimes e.g. I change a placement in an object under a Arch Floor Object, it goes elsewhere 'uncontrollable'. I have a window eave on the facade and some time later the projection go in opposite direction when re-calculated (I force a 'normal' then it seems go right ). I have simple flat units (just organized simply in x,y,z planes only) then with mirror, clone or array of them to make a seemingly complex buildings (see dependency graph) but I dare not move the parts now :oops:
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-02-12 09-59-30.png
Screenshot from 2017-02-12 09-59-30.png (284.11 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The Arch Schedule works, it's just that on first run the values won't be displayed in the spreadsheet. If you save and reopen the file, it works. It's just a display problem, but I couldn't find the cause yet.

You other issue is a general characteristic of the FreeCAD tree view, is that an object can only appear once in it, but can be referenced by several others. These others can "swallow" their child objects in the tree or not. If several objects want to swallow a same one, it will go under one of them, and it's indeed unpredictable.

There are regularly discussions here on how to improve that, but it's really a hard matter. We thought already of a priority system, but it wouldn't really solve the issue. But, representing the FreeCAD model as such a tree is not the only way to represent it. menu View->Panels->DAG view is another try at a better reprsentation. And there might be others in the future.

This is a complex matter, and certainly a long-term discussion.

About not being ready for production, I agree with you :) I use FreeCAD for "real" BIM work almost everyday... Actually I spent the last week with Revit, and I wonder if FreeCAD is not already better on many points...
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Hi Yorik, thanks again!
yorik wrote:The Arch Schedule works, it's just that on first run the values won't be displayed in the spreadsheet. If you save and reopen the file, it works. It's just a display problem, but I couldn't find the cause yet.
Yes, it shows when i reopen!
yorik wrote:You other issue is a general characteristic of the FreeCAD tree view, is that an object can only appear once in it, but can be referenced by several others. These others can "swallow" their child objects in the tree or not. If several objects want to swallow a same one, it will go under one of them, and it's indeed unpredictable.
I may have not put myself clear in English :oops: Whilst the above is also true (somehow I can manage to force show the child by try to 'rename' the parents, then the child shows up - not quite intuitive though), I actually mean I haven't fully understood the placement / coordinates system in FreeCAD (though I used Autocad) so sometime I tried change a placement parameters in an object, it sometime go 'uncontrollable' to me. Sometime an object (a child in Arch wall or structure) needs recalculation, the child's projection direction go reverse suddenly - I need to specify the normal direction (specifically instead of default which is 0.

Maybe someone can point me to a documentation somewhere I haven't found yet to study it.
yorik wrote:About not being ready for production, I agree with you :) I use FreeCAD for "real" BIM work almost everyday... Actually I spent the last week with Revit, and I wonder if FreeCAD is not already better on many points...
Again, I may have not put myself clear :oops: As far as 'modelling functions' I have explored, I can produce a quite complicated model of multi-storey buildings, simply with mirror and array of part in fact (thanks to your solutions to some of my earlier problems elsewhere). It is usable i meant. The 'problem' to me is as mentioned above I have some basic concepts not clear to me I haven't found documentation - e.g. the details of 'parameters' you have shown the formula in the Arch Schedule; another example is the python to separate the window glass from frame, I tried run but in vain, but haven't found information I need to resolve it. I am not sure if i can produce door schedule, window schedule etc.

Thanks again.
regis

Post by regis »

what do you guys think about this workaround?

video recording without sound.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165003908

model link:
https://github.com/chopinregis/Youtube- ... ling.fcstd
Attachments
pic2.png
pic2.png (261.16 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
regis

Post by regis »

Freecad has come a long way.

phpBB [video]
Attachments
pic2.png
pic2.png (276.74 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
pic.png
pic.png (116.15 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Excellent!!
I liked your technique to "fill" the section cut... We could turn that into a quick tool, allow to generate such a filling element from a section plane. The big advantage would be that you can snap to it...
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Hi, I am still subscribing to this discussion since I found it some time ago after Rockn started it.

Somehow I can't open https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165003908, but I download the file, Now there is youtube I can see now!

The Shape2DView to fill the cut is just excellent!!! I still use 1 way lighting to mock that effect but the effect was not perfect (some screenshot in Hi-Res discussion).

Some thoughts-

- if that 'Shape2DView' could be 'attached' to / 'inherent' in the SectionPlane, and one could switch that on and off in the SectionPlane...?
- any way to select 1 or a few object for SectionPlane to 'cut', rather than 'cutting' the whole scene. Then we can have a mix of sectional view and 3d view.
regis

Post by regis »

paullee wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:09 am Hi, I am still subscribing to this discussion since I found it some time ago after Rockn started it.

Somehow I can't open https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165003908, but I download the file, Now there is youtube I can see now!

The Shape2DView to fill the cut is just excellent!!! I still use 1 way lighting to mock that effect but the effect was not perfect (some screenshot in Hi-Res discussion).

Some thoughts-

- if that 'Shape2DView' could be 'attached' to / 'inherent' in the SectionPlane, and one could switch that on and off in the SectionPlane...?
- any way to select 1 or a few object for SectionPlane to 'cut', rather than 'cutting' the whole scene. Then we can have a mix of sectional view and 3d view.
good suggestions about the inherent section plane 2dshape view as well as the cutting plane whole scene thing, It is true that during modeling i did find it a bit ackward, but forgot to think about it as much else goes on in your mind when doing these videos.

I think i'll give up twitch completely, far to many people apparently can't access it.
I'm still alien to the high res thing, one day i'll look at it to finally make sense of it. so much to learn in freecad still, it never feels like you are close to understand most in it.

Exactly yorik, I've been wondering why such options are not directly input into the the section cut as an "on/off" options like paulee is suggesting, while maintaining it for the the 2d shape view still, becuase the thing here is that we can export to dwg and svg with various hatch, I mean it still has it use this current way. anyways i noticed that techdraw only allows you to select the gray color of the cut aswell, nothing else. that also could change in tech draw. what do you think?