IFC import

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
bernd
Veteran

IFC import

Post by bernd »

@Yorik
I know we should wait. But may be I found something strange inside FreeCAD and not in ifcopenshell. The fixed-real ifcopenshell was used commit 156 (https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/IfcOpe ... fixed-real). FreeCAD 0.14.3069 was used. Here is what I did. The foundation plate of the two houses is slightly different. If the same file is imported twice the problem does not exists.

- open FreeCAD
- import house1.ifc --> good import
- import house2.ifc --> bad import

- open FreeCAD
- import house2.ifc --> good import
- import house1.ifc --> bad import

find a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkGj3ntg ... e=youtu.be

bernd

EDIT: youtube has crap quality, find a better viedeo here: http://www.b75.ch/download/screencast.ogv.zip
Attachments
houses.tar.gz
(9.1 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
yorik
Founder

Re: IFC import

Post by yorik »

Hm yes I had seen that too... There is something weird in the way IfcOpenShell "reinitializes" or "closes" (after you used it, it also crashes when you close FreeCAD). I don't want to put too much pressure on Thomas Krijnen right now, so I'm waiting for him to finish his upgrade, but I have a list of bugs to submit already :)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote:... I don't want to put too much pressure on Thomas Krijnen right now, so I'm waiting for him to finish his upgrade ...
Sure, I totally agree with that. He will not be faster just because we are sending bugs to something which is not finished yet. I didn't know it's ifcopenshell related..
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Mail from Thomas Krijnen!
It took me a while, but I managed (i.e tried) to merge back in the changes from the svn repo. Given the scale of this commit I doubt things will work out of the box, after all, our compilers have disagreed on things before, but after things are up and running you'll have your accurate writing of floats, derived arguments are initialised to an * automatically, fixed a bug introduced in this branch causing things to crash (I think you reported this) and lastly, if you want you can switch to IFC4 somewhat easily now.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Cool! But Geometry is messed up during import even for the first import. Mhh, At least the messed up Geometry is exported very well. :o :shock: It seams further investigation is needed. I'm gone check more models.

Bernd
Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (39.7 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes, I know... Still couldn't locate where the problem happens, if it is inside IfcOpenShell or in our FreeCAD importer...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I did some more testing, it seems that the problem is within ifcopenshell (some shapes have their placement pre-computed, others not). I'll see what T K says...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

New progress!

The issue with the "exploded" geometry when using the IFC importer twice is now fixed in IfcOpenShell (pull request submitted) and in the IFC importer.

The problem with the wrong placement of objects is still there, but we could at least narrow the problem. I also tested that if we don't apply those placements in IfcOpenShell, and then apply them in FreeCAD, everything works OK, so we now know more precisely where the problem lies in IfcOpenShell, and should be fixed soon.

I guess we're close to be fully functional again!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok the latest bug (placement) is fixed too! So far all my files now import 100% correctly! Please test (needs latest IfcOpenShell code too)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Just opened 10 of my dozens modell and YEAH it relly look very goot. All imported more the 95 % of the objects correctly for sure, but I will have a closer look to all my models. I would like to have 100 % and I would like to be sure 100 % is imported correctly :D :D :D

kind regards bernd.