Architecture work in FreeCAD

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
saso
Veteran

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Post by saso »

One day I will be as cool as Yorik :roll:
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi
very good work
you use FreeCAD for your job ?

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

mario52 wrote:you use FreeCAD for your job ?
Not for everything, but I would say about 50% of my work today is done in freecad. The rest in blender and draftsight, principally. But I don't think I'll ever do 100% in freecad, I don't think that would be healthy. Navigating between different applications is a good thing.

And also, they are needed. If freecad would do "free hand" modeling as good as blender, it wouldn't be as good anymore for precise, technical modeling. And if blender would do tech modeling as good as freecad, it wouldn't be so fast anymore. It is good to keep different apps with different philosophies... That's a very Unix idea :)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

hi yorik, great work. What I like most, it's real live work! How about the pic 11? Did you model all the profiles yourself?

bernd
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bernd wrote:How about the pic 11? Did you model all the profiles yourself?
Basically they are all taken from manufacturers websites... Some offer DWG, some not, but I took some simply from their PDF catalogues, opened in inkscape, saved as DXF, scaled in LibreCAD, (there are dimensions, so it's rather easy), did some polyline cleaning, and you get nice profiles perfectly extrudable in FreeCAD. Amazingly enough, doing that in Revit is a nightmare :) Another demonstration of the powers of open-source!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote:
bernd wrote:How about the pic 11? Did you model all the profiles yourself?
Basically they are all taken from manufacturers websites... Some offer DWG, some not, but I took some simply from their PDF catalogues, opened in inkscape, saved as DXF, scaled in LibreCAD, (there are dimensions, so it's rather easy), did some polyline cleaning, and you get nice profiles perfectly extrudable in FreeCAD. Amazingly enough, doing that in Revit is a nightmare :) Another demonstration of the powers of open-source!
wow, and you did not have problems at the intersections in the corners of the window profile?! How did you place all them in 3D space? Do you use Draft move for this?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bernd wrote:wow, and you did not have problems at the intersections in the corners of the window profile?! How did you place all them in 3D space? Do you use Draft move for this?
Yes, there are many things to be cleaned, basically: linework in a pdf (if it is vectorial of course, sometimes it's a bitmap, then there is nothing to do) is rendered in inkscape as a thick object, with a linewidth. This, when exported to dxf, becomes a polyline with a width set. So you need to set all the widths to zero, to have thin-line polylines. Then you can automatically unify everything (polyedit -> multiple in autocad/draftsight), that will close most of the profiles. Then there might be one place or another that didn'tclose correctly, that you need to do by hand. But it's usually not too much work.

As for Draft move, yeah, I guess it's the command I use most in FreeCAD!
regis

Post by regis »

Sometimes Freecad get's abstract, and it sort of feels cool. :D
Attachments
Abstract Freecad
Abstract Freecad
1.png (280.34 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Nice! Yes I kind of like that aspect too..
Nice modernist table :)
paulfurze

Post by paulfurze »

regis,
I gotta ask, cos I certainly aint no architect.
How tall have you gotta be to reach those handles on those top cupboards ? :)
Or is this just FreeCad being playful !