3D Printer Parts

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
clintonsam75

Re: 3D Printer Parts

Post by clintonsam75 »

Here is video 3 of 25. It covers sketches and navigation, though it had gotten so long that I'll continue covering sketches in video 4. The social topic explains why representative democracies are able to serve their societies better than anarchy style direct democracies. https://
Last edited by jmaustpc on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: url removed because a significant portion of the video's contents is a political lecture and irrelavent to FreeCAD
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Cool! Great presentation quality, as before.
A few notes:
* the rant on sketcher grid :lol: my favorite part
* nice trick to drag a circle off the origin. I didn't know that ;) I usually added a point, constrained the point to be on the circle, and dragged the point.
* axis value of (0,0,1) doesn't actually mean anything. This can be verified by editing the axis and observing that the sketch does not move. It merely a default value filled in for an axis that is undefined (it is, if the angle is zero).
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

DeepSOIC wrote:Cool! Great presentation quality, as before.
A few notes:
* the rant on sketcher grid :lol: my favorite part
* nice trick to drag a circle off the origin. I didn't know that ;) I usually added a point, constrained the point to be on the circle, and dragged the point.
Thanks. :mrgreen:
* axis value of (0,0,1) doesn't actually mean anything. This can be verified by editing the axis and observing that the sketch does not move. It merely a default value filled in for an axis that is undefined (it is, if the angle is zero).
Actually, the axis values control which axis the model rotates around. For example, try this. Change the angle from 0 to 30 and notice how it rotates. Now, change the axis value to (1, 0, 0). Now notice how it rotates. But you did bring up a good point, because I think you just pointed out that I did not explain this well. I'll try to explain it better when I cover custom orientation.
custom axis rotation.png
custom axis rotation.png (127.34 KiB) Viewed 2644 times
It's awesome that you watched the whole thing. And the fact that you learned something, really surprised me. I thought for sure everyone on the forum knew this stuff already and that I was just making these videos for the noobs. Now, I think, wow. Maybe I'm actually providing something that is useful to a lot more people than I realized. So thank you. Please keep giving me feedback, so that I keep getting better and continue to learn. :)
Last edited by clintonsam75 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

This is your project therefore you do it in the way you see it fit. For me in general it would make more sense if videos would be a bit shorter. Between 5 to 10 minutes.

That is for the FreeCAD tutorial part.

As for economic and political views i think they make less sense to be there. For economic part you could do that as separate effort if for example you intend to build business around 3D Printers.

As for political part probably you should do that separately as i don't see direct link between watching FreeCAD tutorial on for example Sketcher WB and after discuss about political systems. And just a side note about using that "meme images". I think you will never get serious debaters if you degrade discussion on that level in the first place.
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

triplus wrote:This is your project therefore you do it in the way you see it fit. For me in general it would make more sense if videos would be a bit shorter. Between 5 to 10 minutes.

That is for the FreeCAD tutorial part.
Thank you, Triplus. You are right. My original intention was to keep the tutorials at only 5 to 10 minutes long. Video #3 definitely went way too long. My instincts told me to save the last segment (modeling the steel rod) for video 4, but since I stated in video 2 that I would go through modeling the first part in video 3, I felt obligated to keep my word. I didn't anticipate that it would take so long just to get to that point. That's due to my lack of experience. But, I know better now about my limitations and will try to make the videos shorter.
As for economic and political views i think they make less sense to be there. For economic part you could do that as separate effort if for example you intend to build business around 3D Printers.
Yes, of course. That does make sense and under different circumstances I would agree with you. The issue is that I worked hard over the years developing my ideas and I need an audience. However, most people do not care about politics. That's a given. However, I cannot target the political community directly because I'm unknown and I'm not looking for a debate. You see, I expect most people will just skip over the political stuff either because politics and economics don't interest them or because they've already aligned themselves with an opposing view. But some people will watch them simply because it's already playing and if they like what they hear then they'll continue watching when ordinarily they would not watch a separate video because that would not be convenient for one and for 2 they would not ordinarily have searched for political topics. To make a long story short, the concept for my political party (when I get to it) will be heard by less people if I separated it.
And just a side note about using that "meme images". I think you will never get serious debaters if you degrade discussion on that level in the first place.
I'm sorry you don't like the images. I would create my own images if I had more time to dedicate to making videos. On the bright side, I'm not looking for debate at this point in time. At the moment, I'm only looking to appeal to an audience who share my observations. I'm not teaching anyone anything with my political topics. I'm looking for people who already agree with them. That doesn't mean I won't shy away from a serious debate if the opportunity came along.

Great feedback. Thank you.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

You're welcome.

P.S. It's not about me liking or not liking "meme images" it just looks like on the one hand you are putting effort in it to create some quality content and after diminish that with using low-grade "meme images".
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

triplus wrote:You're welcome.

P.S. It's not about me liking or not liking "meme images" it just looks like on the one hand you are putting effort in it to create some quality content and after diminish that with using low-grade "meme images".
Well, I disagree. I like the images. I believe they increase the quality.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

clintonsam75 wrote:
triplus wrote:You're welcome.

Well, I disagree. I like the images. I believe they increase the quality.
Actually i should have been more precise and point them out individually as true with majority i don't see an issue. I won't do that ATM but go trough them and ask yourself which of them could be considered for deletion if you would post them on average and moderated forum. ;)
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

clintonsam75, you might want to consider using a newer (0.16) version of FreeCAD for your tutorials. Sketcher has changed significantly since 0.15 was released, and when 0.16 becomes generally available your tutorials in 0.15 might be obsolete.

I haven't watched all of video 3 but, for me, when creating a Sketch on the X-Y Plane, the Z-Axis arrow points up (out of the screen) instead of in the direction I'm looking (into the screen)...about 3:25 into your video.
clintonsam75

Post by clintonsam75 »

bejant wrote:clintonsam75, you might want to consider using a newer (0.16) version of FreeCAD for your tutorials. Sketcher has changed significantly since 0.15 was released, and when 0.16 becomes generally available your tutorials in 0.15 might be obsolete.

I haven't watched all of video 3 but, for me, when creating a Sketch on the X-Y Plane, the Z-Axis arrow points up (out of the screen) instead of in the direction I'm looking (into the screen)...about 3:25 into your video.
Thank you, Bejant. I'll try to make the switch as soon as possible. Video 4 will continue with sketches, so I think making a change right in the middle like that would be a bit awkward. Padding and pocketing naturally progresses from there, so I think the best place to walk users through the "upgrade" will be video 6. All I've got scheduled for that video is the trim tool and modeling one of the rod supports. So, there should be plenty of room for me to cover a quick segment on installing the development version of FreeCAD in that video.