High Lift Roller Rocker Shaft Assembly

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
r.tec

High Lift Roller Rocker Shaft Assembly

Post by r.tec »

Hello,
I would like to share with you my latest creation I did in FreeCAD. It's of course again an engine part for a Leyland Mini because I am sort of addicted to this small car.
Rocker Assembly 01.jpeg
Rocker Assembly 01.jpeg (126.39 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
Rocker Assembly 02.jpeg
Rocker Assembly 02.jpeg (115.21 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
Rocker Shaft Assembly 03.jpeg
Rocker Shaft Assembly 03.jpeg (267.7 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
Rocker Shaft Assembly 04.jpeg
Rocker Shaft Assembly 04.jpeg (277.47 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
The FCStd-file is unfortunately too big for loading up (>4MB). If someone would like to have it, I'll put it somewhere in Dropbox.

Hope you like it.
Kind regards,
Helmut
bernd
Veteran

Re: High Lift Roller Rocker Shaft Assembly

Post by bernd »

wow, great stuff like most of your models. Just an hint viewtopic.php?p=112215#p112152
yorik wrote: release notes

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... notes_0.16
we need a new screenshot, the one currently there is the same as 0.15.
If you have a cool screen from one of your great model you could post it in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11557&start=50 If you are fast it may gets recognized.
It's of course again an engine part for a Leyland Mini because I am sort of addicted to this small car.
How does this car looks like?

Did you do the renderingings in FreeCAD too. I have never tried to do such rendering.
lehol

Post by lehol »

Nice work! I totally get your obsession, as a owner of a Mini on a spit.
Is the assembly made with the assembly2 workbench?
r.tec

Post by r.tec »

...Thanks for your friendly comments.

@Bernd: you can see the Mini in action here, photos taken by the wife of a fellow Mini enthusiast: http://www.mcm1980ev.de/component/optio ... catid,145/
Then I did not do any rendering apart from the "Bildinhalt speichern..."-function in the tools WB (sorry, do not know what the name in the English version of FC is. There you can select the quality of the photo and the background. I once tried a rendering in Kerkythea along the video tutorial of Roland but failed due to the model simply being too small. Will have another go on it some time later...

@lehol: no, I didn't place the single parts with assembly2 but used simple placement commands.
Regards,
Helmut
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

Looks very nice!

I'm another former mini owner - used to have a '70s-mashup 998 Clubman in bright yellow. I've graduated to a wonderful mid-90's Honda hatchback though, and therefore have time to work on things other than the car on weekends ;). -Ian-
r.tec

Post by r.tec »

ian.rees wrote:.. time to work on things other than the car ..
...but that's just part of the fun!!!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

r.tec wrote:
ian.rees wrote:.. time to work on things other than the car ..
...but that's just part of the fun!!!
My dad bought a brand new Mini Moke "Californian" in the very early 1970s. It was one of these
For a brief period around 1971, Leyland Australia produced a variant referred to in Leyland literature as "Moke, special export", but commonly called a "Californian", which had a 1,275 cc engine and was fitted with side marker lamps and different rear lights to conform to US FMVSS standards.
that quote is from wikipedia here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Moke ... lian_Mokes

We had no pollution control back in those days so the small light car plus relatively powerful engine and (for its time) extremely good handling...meant that the thing used to absolutely fly....it out performed the big sixes common in Australian cars of the time and even the v8s were shocked when you left them behind when taking off from a standing start (although they would get you by about second gear!) and when you hit any corners ....they were just completely out classed.

It did another thing very well....when you got it bogged in mud ...it was so small and light that you only needed a couple of mates to pick it up and lift it out of the mud! Also being front wheel drive, it tended to pull itself around corners in very slippery muddy conditions and keep going in conditions where a typical family car of the time might get bogged. The Australian outback still had a lot of unsealed roads back then....it still does but nowhere near to the extend it did back then.

It was rather mechanically unreliable and had some design/maintenance short comings but that was probably common back then.

It had a "bash plate" added below the engine (good idea with such a low engine)and the grill was a fixed unmoveable part of the front body work...later models had removable grills ...this meant that to get to the oil filter you had to undo a lot of bolts and remove the bash plate. It regularly broke the top engine mount. The suspension according to my dad had been originally designed for the small wheels "10inch"? but they put big wheels 13" on this model from new, so from new it regularly wore out or broke suspension parts.
r.tec

Post by r.tec »

..I won't become too off-topic now but I once drove a Mini Moke on a holiday in Cyprus, btw it had 12" wheels, in the early days they hat 10" as all other Minis. And as a child I had one of these: http://www.carmodel.com/dinky-england/6 ... hute/15582 while my buddy had two of those Corgi Minis (http://severnbeachantiques.com/original ... roon-boxed). Perhaps that's why I'm so deranged concerning cars???