Steering wheel (project thread)

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kinkinkijkin

Steering wheel (project thread)

Post by kinkinkijkin »

All I have so far is a mock steering wheel, but this thread is to be for a game wheel project of mine, specifically the parts taking place in FreeCAD.

The current wheel is me coming to a base understanding with CAD software. It is very far from the actual design of the wheel, as the final wheel is to accommodate a horn button, some controls, and some relatively robust mounting, while this wheel is only ready for absolutely no form of mounting, should you print it and try then I pity you for not understanding the vanity of the attempt.

Though, I kinda like the general design of this wheel, even if it's more suited to racing than my needs, so I might revisit it later.

Wheel was made by creating a torus with a first radius of 370mm and a second radius of 15.1mm (I think). The wheel ended up at a wheel measurement of around 400mm, though, which, while it is fitting for the intended use of SCS's Truck Simulator games for the final product (which, again, this is only kind of related to), is too big for storage.

The hub, spokes, and hub cutout were all done using grid snapping as a form of measurement (eat me, it's efficient). The spokes were done as two plots thick of a 14mm grid. Unfortunately, moving from the 14mm grid to a 10mm grid to move it downwards left the upper two spokes permanently offset by 1mm. As may be obvious, this is probably infuriating for someone doing more important things, but really hardly matters in this case.
wheel.PNG
wheel.PNG (20.6 KiB) Viewed 3048 times
I definitely need to get myself better at this, since I plan for the final product to be something I provide on order, so I have to actually finish the thing. I already know all of the parts I need and the general arrangement. I know how to draft it by paper but have arthritis through my whole body - therefore including hands - no paper, and want to print some parts if I'm able to, though it would require a printer I don't currently own. Really, at this point, it's down to picking exact parts to use, and designing the parts I have to make myself.

Seriously though I wouldn't be putting myself into a realm of design I've never touched before if there were even a custom racing game wheel available, period. The things don't exist, I've looked. Only large niche market I haven't seen any custom products exist in, let alone thrive.
Attachments
wheel 1.FCStd
(26.42 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Steering wheel (project thread)

Post by PrzemoF »

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project!