CoreXY 3D Printer

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zerginator

CoreXY 3D Printer

Post by Zerginator »

Hi,
I am building a CoreXY based 3D printer in FreeCAD based on jand1122's design.
Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-25 um 17.51.57.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-25 um 17.51.57.png (637.07 KiB) Viewed 11110 times
This is a work in heavy progress and not in a status where it can be easily built!
But if wanted to show you the work done, and maybe you can use the sourcefiles for your own project or share your ideas or suggestions for improvement with me.

It is based on the great work of jand1122, which again is based on the excellent design of Zelogik. See the github archives at: https://github.com/jand1122/RepRap-XY and https://github.com/zelogik/AluXY
I also use some parts shared on the FreeCAD Forum, Github and here on Thingiverse:

The design and variants it is based on are discussed in the RepRap forum at:: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?4,297740

jand1122 already changed the original design of zeologic so no more CNC-ed aluminium is needed. Based on this design he used printed parts instead of aluminium parts.

The resulting design already has a great lot of features:

Based on the Core-XY system. (see http://corexy.com/theory.html)
Frame made from aluminium extrusions.
No motors, belts and guides on the outside of the frame.
When thinking about the ideal FDM 3D printer I want to build those requirements come into my mind:

Stiff Frame (check, aluminium extrusion profiles are great)
High quality hotend (E3D or Kraken Printhead can be mounted, upgradeable)
No Oozing Nozzle (Direct Feed or Closing Nozzle)
Heated Bed for warp-free printing of ABS
good first layer (automatic bed leveling, good sticking of layer to bed: Kapton Tape, PEI or GeckoTek)
Capable of wide variety of materials
Enclosed casing for warp and smell free printing (good starting point with jand1122's design, where no motors are outside the frame)
Remote control with webcam support (Octopi)
Multi Nozzle Printhead (higher printspeed, multi material / color prints)
Swapable Head if possible
With the goal of adding such new features, like ocotopi webcam support, enclosed caseing, dual nozzle printhead and others I decided to use jand1122s design as a basis for me own redesign.

I started with redesigning his FreeCAD parts, so screws are integrated in a nicer way and remodelling other parts in FreeCAD only available as STEP before.

Also I assemble the printer in the Freecad Assembly2 Module but have to delete the constraints after the parts are places, as the solver is not able to solve a large number of constraints..

This is a work in progress, Use at your own risk.

The Folder src containes the FreeCAD files from jand1122 and from other open source 3D printer projects I used as basis for my design.

The Folder Assembly contains the FreeCAD Assembly and all Parts.
As the Assembly2 Module currently does not allow for import of subgroups of parts and the solver isn't able anymore to solve all constraints if the assembly gets to complicated I use the muxing ability of Assembly2 to join subgroups of parts, such as the XY-Slide into one part then used for further assembly in the complete product.

The file build.py will generate the STEP and STL files.
Just open the file in FreeCAD and run a a macro.

In the doc folder you will find a BOM.
This BOM currently is fully based on jand1122's design. I will update it later.
This BOM is not generated from the model but hand made, so be carefull
You will not (yet?) find build instructions there. Have a look at the sourcefiles Core(XY).FCStd (FreeCAD) to see how everything fits together.

As I first want to complete the printer in CAD before I start any real life assembly it will be sone time until I can show you videos or pictures of mine.
nemesis

Re: CoreXY 3D Printer

Post by nemesis »

Hi,
Nice Job!
CoreXY is one of my favorite printer since I'm looking at 3Dprinting.
I started a graberi3 in freecad, and my goal was to define a fully parametric model, where you put the requested printing area, and it builds the printer....
but unfortunatly it was too ambitious for me. the target was also as you to make the full build in CAD before doing it in real.
so now, I bought a Dagoma discovery 200, because I'm more interested in stuff you can do with printers, than printers indeed.....
if it's not enough my next printer will be a CoreXY as yours, or as I thought first, a closed one in wood.
As the Assembly2 Module currently does not allow for import of subgroups of parts and the solver isn't able anymore to solve all constraints if the assembly gets to complicated I use the muxing ability of Assembly2 to join subgroups of parts, such as the XY-Slide into one part then used for further assembly in the complete product.
Indeed it allows to import sub assembly.
that's what I did in mine (both on grader i3 and Dagoma)
each axis is a sub assembly. so with the DOF animation you will see if your constraints are ok. it works quite well. just missing the limit of constraints, or a physic engine to find collisions.

just a question, do you plane to make some FEM analysis? (that was my first concern for the I3 and still for the dagoma?
Zerginator

Post by Zerginator »

Hi nemesis,

yes this is the plan. I have not worked too much on the printer lately, as I am waiting for the dual head version of the great Toranado design that may change the dimensions.

I am instead trying out the CoreXY design at the moment with a clone of the nice Axidraw paintbot based on the great 4xiDraw design from misan (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/4xidraw#information)
that I used as a base for my FreeCAD version and that I am currently building in hardware - photos will follow.
Bildschirmfoto 2016-04-30 um 16.44.23.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-04-30 um 16.44.23.png (737.93 KiB) Viewed 10242 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Zerginator wrote:photos will follow.
Impressive. Curious to see more!
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Zerginator wrote: yes this is the plan. I have not worked too much on the printer lately, as I am waiting for the dual head version of the great Toranado design that may change the dimensions.
I going to check this tornado design ;-)
curious to see the photos of the paintbot.
I always found it fun... but never find what can I do with this. :lol:
Zerginator

Post by Zerginator »

You can find it here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1246951
I really like the design and it works perfect for me. The best printhead I used so far.

Is started with the hardware of the printbot, unfortunately still waiting for some parts (not enough bearings and rods left)
FullSizeRender_23.jpg
FullSizeRender_23.jpg (76.97 KiB) Viewed 9989 times
Zerginator

Post by Zerginator »

Finished the machine :)
I will publish the CAD files together with some information on the software setup and modifications necessary in the future.
Should anybody be interested in the CAD Files until then already, to build his own, just contact me.
Video of the finished machine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2OA5Q1jeY
corexy.jpg
corexy.jpg (86.04 KiB) Viewed 9761 times
movilujo

Post by movilujo »

Hello Zerginator Do you have design in freecad? I would be interested, I'm building one and may need to make changes
Zerginator

Post by Zerginator »

Had some time to continue work on the printer:
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-04 um 20.00.46.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-04 um 20.00.46.png (472.91 KiB) Viewed 8813 times
Added Case and Electronics (Duet with 4,3" display, Power Supply, RasPi with Touchscreen for Octoprint, Heatbed)

Still missing:
Raspi-Camera
Final Printhead
Filament Supply
All the Cables
Mishka

Post by Mishka »

You should upload your work so we can be able to download it and view it in FreeCad to see how it works and everything, and if there is a link i cant seem to find it