Assembly Support Wheel

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ghislainvdwalle

Assembly Support Wheel

Post by ghislainvdwalle »

Hi there,

Recently we needed a support wheel assembly for our plasma cutting table.
The design was made on:
Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

We used the Part Design Workbench, Assembly2 Workbench, Drawing Dimension Workbench and played around with POV-Ray.
Pretty staightforward.
Assembly Houder Loopwiel.FCStd
(331.1 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Assembly Houder Loopwiel.png
Assembly Houder Loopwiel.png (58.79 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
Assembly Support Wheel.jpeg
Assembly Support Wheel.jpeg (13.59 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
triplus
Veteran

Re: Assembly Support Wheel

Post by triplus »

Nice!
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Nice little project there ghislainvdwalle. A few tips...

It would be worthwhile to update your FreeCAD to 0.16 release. Much improvements to be had there.

Looks like a POV-Ray tracing in the first image? Once your parts are in the PovProject, you can select each one and in their Data tab and can set the color and change it from the default. Doing so, and tweaking the templates a bit will get you a raytrace like this -
RayTraceEdit.png
RayTraceEdit.png (47.94 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
The template I used was just a slightly modified RadiosityNormal.pov template that ships with FreeCAD. You can find the template in the post I made on - Re: Raytracing Workbench Help - and you may want to play around with it some and adjust it to your needs/likes. Have fun with the templates and modifying the scripts. Some very impressive results can be had with a little editing. ;)

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
ghislainvdwalle

thank you Mark for your decent reply.
In fact we are a mill shop and depending on a combination of the 3D Design, the drawing dimension workbench, the raytracing for showing clients and in the future we hope the path workbench.
We're former Alibre/Geomagic users and disappointed about their commercial behavour.
In 2013 we retrofitted a big iron with Ubuntu/LinuxCNC and discovered the Linux community for ourselves; we hope to become MSFREE in the future.
Look at http://www.vdwalle.com/Norte
We are running the FreeCAD 0.15 on one comp because the Drawing Dimension workbench does not work yet on the 0.16 version.
On other comps we have the 0.16 on Win7 and Debian.

Very nice what you did with our POV-Ray file; and we will give it more attention in the future by reading your posts.
You have been posting also a bunch of film clips about FreeCAD, for whom our thanks, you are very active.
It is through these film clips the guys over here learned FreeCAD very very fast (quick61 is very well represented in the catalog of film clips :P ).

thanks again :) :)
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

ghislainvdwalle wrote:thank you Mark for your decent reply.
In fact we are a mill shop and depending on a combination of the 3D Design, the drawing dimension workbench, the raytracing for showing clients and in the future we hope the path workbench.
A lot can be done with POV-Ray, but if your looking for what I would consider maybe a cut above, you can export the parts as meshes, (.stl or .obj) and use them in Blender with Cycles render and nodes to get even a better look. Here is your model run through Blender with a few node tweaks. It can take a while to master blender, (I still have a BUNCH to learn), but it can give first rate results.
CyclesRender.png
CyclesRender.png (140.84 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
We're former Alibre/Geomagic users and disappointed about their commercial behavour.
In 2013 we retrofitted a big iron with Ubuntu/LinuxCNC and discovered the Linux community for ourselves; we hope to become MSFREE in the future.
Look at http://www.vdwalle.com/Norte
We are running the FreeCAD 0.15 on one comp because the Drawing Dimension workbench does not work yet on the 0.16 version.
On other comps we have the 0.16 on Win7 and Debian.
Not true about the Drawing Dimension workbench. You should get the latest version of Dimensioning and give it a try. I have set up my ~/.FreeCAD/Mod/Dimensioning/ directory as a git repo so all I have to do is cd into it and do a git pull to update it. Drawing Dimensions are working very nicely on my 0.16 release version as well as 0.17 dev..
Very nice what you did with our POV-Ray file; and we will give it more attention in the future by reading your posts.
You have been posting also a bunch of film clips about FreeCAD, for whom our thanks, you are very active.
It is through these film clips the guys over here learned FreeCAD very very fast (quick61 is very well represented in the catalog of film clips :P ).

thanks again :) :)
Your welcome!

Read up on your version of POV-Ray. If you can get through the documentation and some of the tutorials available on the web, it is a decent renderer. There is also Luxrender that is very powerful, though I don't use it much sense I can do about anything I want to do with Blender, Cycles and Bullet. ;)

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
ghislainvdwalle

Hi Mark,

good morning,

you wrote:
"Not true about the Drawing Dimension workbench. You should get the latest version of Dimensioning and give it a try. I have set up my ~/.FreeCAD/Mod/Dimensioning/ directory as a git repo so all I have to do is cd into it and do a git pull to update it. Drawing Dimensions are working very nicely on my 0.16 release version as well as 0.17 dev.. "

The answer is right and wrong.
On Debian 7.9 it works fine; like you told.
On Win7 and Vista for some reason it stubbornly refuses.
Because this topic doesn't actually belongs here, I posted the issue on github on:

https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... /issues/91

thanks again 8-)