Mountain Bicycle Challenge

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
saso
Veteran

Re: Mountain Bicycle Challenge

Post by saso »

Respect! Now on to the second tutorial :roll: But for real, it is good to get feedback on the FreeCAD functionality from such work (what are the smaller and bigger things that could / should get improved).
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

really fantastic work!
That dark blue thingy would be great to show what we can do in FEM workbench...
I think the rear-triangle is a bit more interesting. Isn't there missing a tube? Normally vpp (virtual pivot point) bikes look like this bike
blacey

Post by blacey »

ppemawm wrote:The tutorial, which was apparently designed to show case the key features of his parametric CAD system, is based on a fully articulated mountain bike sub-assembly. I took the bet that if I could create essentially the same model in FreeCAD, he would buy the beer. Needless to say, he is eating his words and I'm drinking his beer!
Well-done! I can only imagine having your FreeCAD prowess to tackle such a project. If I had the spare cycles today, I would definitely entertain using it to climb the FreeCAD learning-curve. ;) Enjoy the beer - you deserve it!
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

looo wrote:I think the rear-triangle is a bit more interesting. Isn't there missing a tube? Normally vpp (virtual pivot point) bikes look like this bike
I am not sure about which tube you are talking, but this subassembly is complete. Perhaps a better view of the rear swing-arm would be of help.
swing-arm.JPG
swing-arm.JPG (55.76 KiB) Viewed 3248 times
It seems there are as many bike configurations as there are manufacturers!
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

I meant that the red tubes should form a triangle. Otherwise there will be high tension in the dropouts.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

very impressive ppemawm!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

ppemawm,

That is really outstanding work. Yorik, what was that expression you came up with a few years back? "fearless FreeCAD ninja". Yep, that's what you are ppemawm. :D
saso wrote:Respect! Now on to the second tutorial
:lol:
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

awesome!

May I ask how many hours has it been taken to earn this very important beer?
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

bernd wrote:May I ask how many hours has it been taken to earn this very important beer?
I would only be wildly guessing, but estimate 20-30 hours. I worked on this off-and-on from 28 September until 11 October.

There are only 19 individual parts (several of which are mirrored), about 50 sketches, 24 pads, 15 pockets, a couple of revolutions, and a few Part/boolean operations (cutouts for the frame tube intersections). Filleting took more time than I would like to admit since it is pretty much trial and error to get the sequence right sometimes.

I suppose that makes it an expensive beer or two time wise, but, hey, had to take one for the team... :lol:
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
SlowGoing

Post by SlowGoing »

Pretty impressive and thanks for sharing :-)
K