Window of my eyes

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Willem
Veteran

Window of my eyes

Post by Willem »

Window of my eyes

I wanted to investigate more of the possibilities of Freecad and combine some features in 1 drawing

– Dimension driven design by a spreadsheet.
– A construction drawing of this design
– Copiing the adjustable data of the spreadsheet into the drawing

Here is the window I made
WINDOW-OF-MY-EYES-01.png
WINDOW-OF-MY-EYES-01.png (21.68 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
This design is dimension driven by this spreadsheet.
WINDOW-OF-MY-EYES-02.png
WINDOW-OF-MY-EYES-02.png (360.67 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
I made a drawing, the parts of my window are all simple rectangular shapes, this is for the first design good enough, perhaps I make a next version with real window profile from a catalogue. The spreadsheet data are also imported in this drawing
WINDOW-OF-MY-EYES-03.png
WINDOW-OF-MY-EYES-03.png (98.61 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
When I change the dimensions in the spreadsheet the drawing gets a real mess. The construction elements change and the dimensions not, as shown on the picture below
WINDOW-OF-MY-EYES-06.png
WINDOW-OF-MY-EYES-06.png (43.29 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
There is no possibility to lock the drawing or the views to prevent the drawing to change when the spreadsheet is changed, so it is not possible to design 2 different windows with the use of the spreadsheet in 1 FCSTD file. When I finelised the design I can export the spreadsheet and immediately import it, now I have a spreadsheet with only data and without a formula. These date I saved with the same name ABC123 as the drawing. These data I also imported in the drawing

‘Window of my eyes ‘ is also the name of a song by ‘ Cuby and the Blizzards‘, in my youth one of my favourite rockbands.
Attachments
Window-of-my-eyes.FCStd
(192.04 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Window of my eyes

Post by NormandC »

Nice project Willem. :)
Willem wrote:When I change the dimensions in the spreadsheet the drawing gets a real mess. The construction elements change and the dimensions not, as shown on the picture below
In hamish's Drawing Dimensioning module, dimensions need to be recomputed manually by clicking the Image Recompute dimensions button.

In the new TechDraw workbench from wandererfan (in 0.17), dimensions are recomputed automatically.