transport study Ro/Ro operation

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wafi

transport study Ro/Ro operation

Post by wafi »

I`ve done a transport study with FreeCAD 17, daily, on an Ubuntu system, rendering with Luxrender (first time I used this). The hull of the vessel was made in free!ship, exported to FreeCAD as *.sld file.

In general I have two main problems. I.e. the spmt`s have different colors, wheels are black i.e.. The problem is, to bring different components in one drw the easiest way is to use a fusion, but in this case the different colors will be shown in the freecad modell, but the rendering will be done only with the main color of the fusion, not with the colors of the details. Maybe I`m doing something wrong, pleased to hear a better way.

The second problem is the ship workbench. It`s hard to get out a solid from the *.sld file, but one can do this. Fine. Trying to load it into ship workbench brings a failure, the vessel is 180 m long, importing the sld file says 180 mm ... ok, scalling with 1000 says 180.000 mm, in both versions workbench ship is stating that the figures are out of range. I was not able to import the *.sld file as 180 m or change the 180.000 mm in 180 m. Perhaps again a failure from my side, but I do not find a solution.

Rendering was done with luxrender. I think the result is better than with the pov, but as I used luxrender the first time, I`m sure that there is room for further improvements.
Unfortunately the FreeCAD data has 103 MB, so not really possible to place them online.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=27630
download/file.php?mode=view&id=27631
Attachments
Loading detail
Loading detail
Loading detail.png (548.51 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
Loading 1.png (531.42 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: transport study Ro/Ro operation

Post by NormandC »

Hello wafi,

Welcome here. Nice first post! This is an interesting project. We don't see many people using the Ship workbench. :)
wafi wrote:the spmt`s have different colors, wheels are black i.e.. The problem is, to bring different components in one drw the easiest way is to use a fusion, but in this case the different colors will be shown in the freecad modell, but the rendering will be done only with the main color of the fusion, not with the colors of the details. Maybe I`m doing something wrong, pleased to hear a better way.
Yes! Instead of a Part Fusion, use a Compound instead (Part menu --> Make compound). The Compound will retain the original object colors.