Soap bar

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Olav

Soap bar

Post by Olav »

Please don't laugh at me, I just started learning FreeCAD a week ago.

So after watching some videos and reading some howtos I decided to make a simple object myself for practice. As a way to record my "progress" I am posting it here. I hope that is allright.
zeep.png
zeep.png (200.86 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
From within Part Design I added a sketch of a rectangle to the XZ plane, symmetrical to both axes. Back in Part Design I padded the rectangle (symmetrical to plane) to be a rectangular box. I suppose I could have used the Part workbench to insert a cuboid. Next I selected all the faces of the box and applied a fillet to them. Then I switched to the Draft workbench because I found a text tool there. I had some difficulty selecting the proper working plane for the text, which I wanted on the top face of the bar, but eventually it worked. I will have to practice with that some more. In Part Design I was able to pocket the text into the bar.

Going back and forth between workbenches (I still get confused) I spent about an hour creating this. It seems safe to say I am not really up to speed yet...

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6707 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 5465bc47c95db45e0be85dc0e2872419efadce0f
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
Zeep.fcstd
(85.22 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
bejant
Veteran

Re: Soap bar

Post by bejant »

Olav wrote:I had some difficulty selecting the proper working plane for the text
Select the top face, then click the Set Plane button.
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... electPlane
Olav wrote:I spent about an hour creating this. It seems safe to say I am not really up to speed yet...
No worries, looks like you're doing well!
Olav

Re: Soap bar

Post by Olav »

bejant wrote:Select the top face, then click the Set Plane button.
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... electPlane
This is what I ended up doing, yes. But on the same page it says:
"You can also specify an offset value, which will set your working plane at a certain distance from the plane you select."

Somehow I had no success with that method.

Further experiments/progress: I made a boolean cut of the top half of my soap bar and a cylinder with another rectangular box. So if I have that 3D printed or milled I can start injection moulding FreeCAD soap bars and earn a fortune...
zeep2.png
zeep2.png (159.98 KiB) Viewed 2251 times