Conley 1/4 Scale V8 with Blower

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ppemawm
Veteran

Conley 1/4 Scale V8 with Blower

Post by ppemawm »

I have been working on a complete CAD model of a 1/4 scale 1932 Ford hot rod for my 10 year old grandson to interest him in FreeCAD. When it came time to add the motor I sort of ended up going down a rabbit hole to create a complete V8 model using plans from https://www.ministeam.com/acatalog/conley-models.html. After a couple of months of part time effort in Part Design workbench using 978 sketches, 478 pockets, 386 pads, several complicated sweeps and 165 Group folders to keep track of all the parts and sub-assemblies, I persevered and completed the model (less fasteners) you see here:
The Conley engine is one of the more popular designs of miniature machinist hobbyists.  There are many fascinating YouTube videos of the engine in actual operation.
The Conley engine is one of the more popular designs of miniature machinist hobbyists. There are many fascinating YouTube videos of the engine in actual operation.
Picture2.jpg (407.04 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
The roller valve train was probably one of the more time consuming complex assemblies due to the number of parts and alignment of components.  Clone copies and mirroring helped a lot.
The roller valve train was probably one of the more time consuming complex assemblies due to the number of parts and alignment of components. Clone copies and mirroring helped a lot.
Capture4.JPG (215.02 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
Aligning the valves, springs, rockers, push rods, lifters, and cam lobes took more time than I would like to admit.  Using object Placement Center and Rotation Axis properties was a bit tedious with sixteen valve assemblies but not particularly difficult once you get the hang of it.
Aligning the valves, springs, rockers, push rods, lifters, and cam lobes took more time than I would like to admit. Using object Placement Center and Rotation Axis properties was a bit tedious with sixteen valve assemblies but not particularly difficult once you get the hang of it.
Capture5.jpg (204.27 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
The dual carb linkage was a real challenge in 3D modelling.
The dual carb linkage was a real challenge in 3D modelling.
Capture6.jpg (176.6 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
The design actually includes a geared cam drive and a gear-type water pump rather than belt drives!
The design actually includes a geared cam drive and a gear-type water pump rather than belt drives!
Capture7.JPG (71.33 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
All of the parts were created in one file which grew to 71 Mb :shock: . FreeCAD display slowed down a bit toward the last few parts even with an I7 quad core CPU but not so much as to be a problem if you are the patient type. I am not able to provide the file for download since the plans are copyrighted by Conley.

Now, if I can just get the rest of the hot rod model completed by Christmas :lol: .

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
paul18

Re: Conley 1/4 Scale V8 with Blower

Post by paul18 »

this man is crazy .... :o
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Very impressive! Did you use the assembly workbench in the end or did you model every single part at it's final position?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Have you tried it yet? Does it run?
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

paul18 wrote:this man is crazy ....
Ummm, no, but seems like I heard that from my wife lately :D .
A little obsessive compulsive I suppose, but being mostly retired, I have the time to squander.
chrisb wrote:Did you use the assembly workbench in the end or did you model every single part at it's final position?
I did not use the Assembly workbench. I like to design or create all components "in-place" in one file essentially in the same sequence as you might assemble it on the bench. It is quite convenient to locate the first sketch of a new component on a common or mating face of another component and use Edge Linked to External Geometry to locate accurately, add Lock constraints as needed, delete the links to external geometry, then Reorient Sketch to make sure you have a separate part. If the view of the sketches is obstructed with other parts in the assembly, I sometimes hide those parts or move the first sketch to one side and move it back when the part is completed.
triplus wrote:Have you tried it yet? Does it run?
No, not even in virtual space! I don't know if I want to invest the time to learn how to animate the assembly, I have just barely scratched the surface of FreeCAD as it is.
mcenhillk

Post by mcenhillk »

Geez, and I'm struggling with a tubular steel chassis in FreeCAD. Time to retire and step my game up. The bar has been set good sir. :D
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Awesome modeling ppemawm, thanks for sharing it!
How did you get the V8 measurements?
Is that your own Conley V8 in the first image?
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

bejant wrote:How did you get the V8 measurements?
Is that your own Conley V8 in the first image?
I purchased the machining drawings from MiniSteam. A bit expensive but what hobby isn't?
The picture of the Conley V8 is not mine. A price over 10,700 USD stopped me.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

I think you deserve a PhD degree in FreeCADding if there is a such thing :shock:
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

PrzemoF wrote:I think you deserve a PhD degree in FreeCADding
Thanks but not so, at least not yet...I only use about 20% of the tools and know nothing about Python as the rest of all you wizards.