Parametric omniwheel

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gsegura96

Parametric omniwheel

Post by gsegura96 »

Hi,
I was working on this project some months ago, it shows the parametric capabilities of FreeCAD.
Almost every parameter of the design is customable from a spreadsheet, if you want to test it, just change de "Cantidad ruedas" (number of wheels) value for a number higher than 3 (the higher the number, the longer it takes to generate the model).

It was designed with FreeCAD 0.16 and uses functions from the Part Design, Part, Draft and Spreadsheet workbenches. In this next days I'm gonna rebuild it from scratch using the new Part Design workbench (FC 0.17), making the model less susceptible to break from parameter changes.

The FreeCAD file and renders are apparently too large for the forum attachments, but everything is on my GitHub https://github.com/gsegura96/FreeCAD-Omniwheel.

Hope you like it, please let me know any problem or recommendation.

PD: for now everything is in spanish, the next revision will be translated to english.

microelly2
Veteran

Re: Parametric omniwheel

Post by microelly2 »

Thank you for sharing this.
It's a really interesting technical device
let's look how to improve computational speed
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Wow Interesting
Thanks for sharing!!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

What is such an wheel good for? Where would you use such an wheel? I actually have never seen such an wheel.
gsegura96

Post by gsegura96 »

Hi, I've just realised I didn't add any explanation about the wheel.
This kind of mechanism is used in robotics to generate movement in any direction without mayor friction.
In this video you can see an excellent use of them.

phpBB [video]
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

bernd wrote:What is such an wheel good for? Where would you use such an wheel? I actually have never seen such an wheel.
I have used them in the past on robots to allow it to move back and forth among rows without needing to turn around. You also can see them in use on things like forklifts in warehouses for the same reason of not wanting to have to turn with the huge moment arm associated with what you're lifting.

I think I have the file around here somewhere, I'll try to find it and see if I can polish it a bit before putting it up on the user showcase.

Edit: Here's a render for now.
Attachments
render_5.JPG
render_5.JPG (481.99 KiB) Viewed 5505 times
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Thanks guys I got the point about this kind of wheel! Very cool stuff!
ektus

Post by ektus »

bernd wrote:What is such an wheel good for? Where would you use such an wheel? I actually have never seen such an wheel.
Those are available commercially and are normally not used as wheels, but as rollers for omnidirectional movement of goods.

See https://www.google.de/search?q=allseite ... ource=univ for examples or http://www.euroroll.de/allseitenrollenschienen.html for one of many vendors.

Regards

Ektus.