Architecture work in FreeCAD

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Post by regis »

Since there aren't enough consistent picture post here, I thought why not post some of my works here to entertain the space with something in the mean time.
Attachments
121.png
121.png (236.7 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
120.png
120.png (172.85 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
119.png
119.png (471.13 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
118.png
118.png (419.56 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
117.png
117.png (194.41 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
regis

Post by regis »

The best of freecad is when all the small details begin to take shape.
Attachments
114.png
114.png (389.55 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
204.png
204.png (269.33 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
124.png
124.png (319.21 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
123.png
123.png (306.19 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
122.png
122.png (313.54 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

It looks nice, but why have windows go down to the ground if you're putting a wall all around so near the house? (even if half the wall blocks are open) :?:
regis

Post by regis »

NormandC wrote:It looks nice, but why have windows go down to the ground if you're putting a wall all around so near the house? (even if half the wall blocks are open) :?:
Just out of curiosity, Why don't you think the windows should also be on the ground?

But here is the logic for a bit of context.
The wall that surround the house has 3 roles,
1. Protect from outside traffic & activities
2. Provide shade from direct sun
3. Allow air breezes to flow without hindrance.

that surround wall is needed because in some developing countries, security is an issue, so a prototype that shows some thought in that direction is well appreciated.

So since you have a surrounding around the house so close, it feels like a cage, especially if you are in the narrow spaces. So to diffuse that effect, I created a connection from the inside of the house to the outside of the house. By having large windows, there is a visual and physical connection which makes the interior space feel more bigger since it extends outside. So now the narrow spaces don't feel like a cage because it connects well with the rest of the interior spaces. Also the large window allow all the possible good sunlight inside the house as well, without the heat.

I hope it makes sense
Attachments
224.png
224.png (179.23 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
Last edited by regis on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

regis wrote:Just out of curiosity, Why don't you think the windows should also be on the ground?
Well it's because of the wall blocking the view, of course :P
regis wrote:I hope it makes sense
It does, thanks for the explanation.

I guess I betray my preconceptions due to my own climate. Here it has a very high temperature differential, with cold winters (can go below -25 °C) or pretty hot and humid summers (up to 30 °C). In this context, large windows can drain heat from inside in winter, and bring in too much heat in in the summer. In both cases, much more energy is required to heat or cool the house. At work, my desk is right besides a large and wide window that goes down to 30 cm from the floor. This winter, even with the room at 21/22 °C, I sometimes wore a thin wool glove on my right hand (the closest from the window) because I was feeling the cold air barrier that forms besides the window. My coworkers made fun of me but I preferred that to a frozen hand. ;)

Here's a view out my office window taken just last month with my smartphone... :D
The computer screen actually shows a picture taken the year before!
The computer screen actually shows a picture taken the year before!
Norms_view_from_office_window_in_winter.jpg (91.5 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
(Now one month later, most of the snow is gone.)

Nonetheless, some people make the choice of building houses with large windows and to pay the energy bill that goes with it.
regis

Post by regis »

NormandC wrote:
regis wrote:Just out of curiosity, Why don't you think the windows should also be on the ground?

I guess I betray my preconceptions due to my own climate. Here it has a very high temperature differential, with cold winters (can go below -25 °C) or pretty hot and humid summers (up to 30 °C). In this context, large windows can drain heat from inside in winter, and bring in too much heat in in the summer. In both cases, much more energy is required to heat or cool the house. At work, my desk is right besides a large and wide window that goes down to 30 cm from the floor. This winter, even with the room at 21/22 °C, I sometimes wore a thin wool glove on my right hand (the closest from the window) because I was feeling the cold air barrier that forms besides the window. My coworkers made fun of me but I preferred that to a frozen hand. ;)

Here's a view out my office window taken just last month with my smartphone... :D
Norms_view_from_office_window_in_winter.jpg

Nonetheless, some people make the choice of building houses with large windows and to pay the energy bill that goes with it.

Yes I am very familiar with those types of conditions in Canada. We go down to -35 degrees with large windows and expensive electric bills.
Here is the open short wall version I created. But this one, you need a lot of trees on the surrounding to create good shade.
Attachments
219.png
219.png (228.21 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
I like this view alot,  what if this was also a call for a freecad sceenshot?
I like this view alot, what if this was also a call for a freecad sceenshot?
218.png (261.64 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
216.png
216.png (379.72 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
206.png
206.png (230.8 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
205.png
205.png (217.17 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
regis

Post by regis »

NormandC wrote:

Norms_view_from_office_window_in_winter.jpg

I think in your context, the designers and architects followed a general simple thought, in some urban spacial scenarios, you can't really choose which side of the opening you want to create, i.e you can't say "I want north and south openings" if your street only opens to the east. So in these kinds of contexts, you will say, "During winter it's cold, so and pretty dull in terms of colors, So you want to maximise the amount of heat and light gained from the sun, thus large windows.", "During the summer it gets hot, so the tree now plays its part to provide the shade, because the leaves are back on" but during winter the leaves have fallen, which enables light/heat through.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

@Norm you use your own view as your desktop background? Does it show your desktop too, in an infinite vortex? :)

@Regis amazing screens!!!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote:@Norm you use your own view as your desktop background? Does it show your desktop too, in an infinite vortex? :)
LOL, it's not my desktop background, it's an image I opened (you can see the blue background at the right). A colleague and I were arguing whether we had received more snow than the previous year, and I remembered I had taken a picture last year. Once it was open I figured it would be fun taking a new one with the old picture as reference. ;)
regis

Post by regis »

why not.
Attachments
207.png
207.png (383.21 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
202.png
202.png (255.68 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
210.png
210.png (598.19 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
211.png