Architecture work in FreeCAD

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
User avatar
regis
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Postby regis » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:31 pm

Since there aren't enough consistent picture post here, I thought why not post some of my works here to entertain the space with something in the mean time.
Attachments
121.png
121.png (236.7 KiB) Viewed 339 times
120.png
120.png (172.85 KiB) Viewed 339 times
119.png
119.png (471.13 KiB) Viewed 339 times
118.png
118.png (419.56 KiB) Viewed 339 times
117.png
117.png (194.41 KiB) Viewed 339 times
User avatar
regis
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Postby regis » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:51 pm

The best of freecad is when all the small details begin to take shape.
Attachments
114.png
114.png (389.55 KiB) Viewed 337 times
204.png
204.png (269.33 KiB) Viewed 337 times
124.png
124.png (319.21 KiB) Viewed 337 times
123.png
123.png (306.19 KiB) Viewed 337 times
122.png
122.png (313.54 KiB) Viewed 337 times
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 12294
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Postby NormandC » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:55 pm

It looks nice, but why have windows go down to the ground if you're putting a wall all around so near the house? (even if half the wall blocks are open) :?:
User avatar
regis
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Postby regis » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:54 pm

NormandC wrote:It looks nice, but why have windows go down to the ground if you're putting a wall all around so near the house? (even if half the wall blocks are open) :?:

Just out of curiosity, Why don't you think the windows should also be on the ground?

But here is the logic for a bit of context.
The wall that surround the house has 3 roles,
1. Protect from outside traffic & activities
2. Provide shade from direct sun
3. Allow air breezes to flow without hindrance.

that surround wall is needed because in some developing countries, security is an issue, so a prototype that shows some thought in that direction is well appreciated.

So since you have a surrounding around the house so close, it feels like a cage, especially if you are in the narrow spaces. So to diffuse that effect, I created a connection from the inside of the house to the outside of the house. By having large windows, there is a visual and physical connection which makes the interior space feel more bigger since it extends outside. So now the narrow spaces don't feel like a cage because it connects well with the rest of the interior spaces. Also the large window allow all the possible good sunlight inside the house as well, without the heat.

I hope it makes sense
Attachments
224.png
224.png (179.23 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Last edited by regis on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 12294
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Postby NormandC » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:51 am

regis wrote:Just out of curiosity, Why don't you think the windows should also be on the ground?

Well it's because of the wall blocking the view, of course :P

regis wrote:I hope it makes sense

It does, thanks for the explanation.

I guess I betray my preconceptions due to my own climate. Here it has a very high temperature differential, with cold winters (can go below -25 °C) or pretty hot and humid summers (up to 30 °C). In this context, large windows can drain heat from inside in winter, and bring in too much heat in in the summer. In both cases, much more energy is required to heat or cool the house. At work, my desk is right besides a large and wide window that goes down to 30 cm from the floor. This winter, even with the room at 21/22 °C, I sometimes wore a thin wool glove on my right hand (the closest from the window) because I was feeling the cold air barrier that forms besides the window. My coworkers made fun of me but I preferred that to a frozen hand. ;)

Here's a view out my office window taken just last month with my smartphone... :D
Norms_view_from_office_window_in_winter.jpg
The computer screen actually shows a picture taken the year before!
Norms_view_from_office_window_in_winter.jpg (91.5 KiB) Viewed 321 times

(Now one month later, most of the snow is gone.)

Nonetheless, some people make the choice of building houses with large windows and to pay the energy bill that goes with it.
User avatar
regis
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Postby regis » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 am

NormandC wrote:
regis wrote:Just out of curiosity, Why don't you think the windows should also be on the ground?

Well it's because of the wall blocking the view, of course :P

regis wrote:I hope it makes sense

It does, thanks for the explanation.

I guess I betray my preconceptions due to my own climate. Here it has a very high temperature differential, with cold winters (can go below -25 °C) or pretty hot and humid summers (up to 30 °C). In this context, large windows can drain heat from inside in winter, and bring in too much heat in in the summer. In both cases, much more energy is required to heat or cool the house. At work, my desk is right besides a large and wide window that goes down to 30 cm from the floor. This winter, even with the room at 21/22 °C, I sometimes wore a thin wool glove on my right hand (the closest from the window) because I was feeling the cold air barrier that forms besides the window. My coworkers made fun of me but I preferred that to a frozen hand. ;)

Here's a view out my office window taken just last month with my smartphone... :D
Norms_view_from_office_window_in_winter.jpg
(Now one month later, most of the snow is gone.)

Nonetheless, some people make the choice of building houses with large windows and to pay the energy bill that goes with it.



Yes I am very familiar with those types of conditions in Canada. We go down to -35 degrees with large windows and expensive electric bills.
Here is the open short wall version I created. But this one, you need a lot of trees on the surrounding to create good shade.
Attachments
219.png
219.png (228.21 KiB) Viewed 303 times
218.png
I like this view alot, what if this was also a call for a freecad sceenshot?
218.png (261.64 KiB) Viewed 303 times
216.png
216.png (379.72 KiB) Viewed 303 times
206.png
206.png (230.8 KiB) Viewed 303 times
205.png
205.png (217.17 KiB) Viewed 303 times
User avatar
regis
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:17 am
Contact:

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Postby regis » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:27 am

NormandC wrote:
regis wrote:Just out of curiosity, Why don't you think the windows should also be on the ground?

Well it's because of the wall blocking the view, of course :P

regis wrote:I hope it makes sense

It does, thanks for the explanation.

I guess I betray my preconceptions due to my own climate. Here it has a very high temperature differential, with cold winters (can go below -25 °C) or pretty hot and humid summers (up to 30 °C). In this context, large windows can drain heat from inside in winter, and bring in too much heat in in the summer. In both cases, much more energy is required to heat or cool the house. At work, my desk is right besides a large and wide window that goes down to 30 cm from the floor. This winter, even with the room at 21/22 °C, I sometimes wore a thin wool glove on my right hand (the closest from the window) because I was feeling the cold air barrier that forms besides the window. My coworkers made fun of me but I preferred that to a frozen hand. ;)

Here's a view out my office window taken just last month with my smartphone... :D
Norms_view_from_office_window_in_winter.jpg
(Now one month later, most of the snow is gone.)

Nonetheless, some people make the choice of building houses with large windows and to pay the energy bill that goes with it.



I think in your context, the designers and architects followed a general simple thought, in some urban spacial scenarios, you can't really choose which side of the opening you want to create, i.e you can't say "I want north and south openings" if your street only opens to the east. So in these kinds of contexts, you will say, "During winter it's cold, so and pretty dull in terms of colors, So you want to maximise the amount of heat and light gained from the sun, thus large windows.", "During the summer it gets hot, so the tree now plays its part to provide the shade, because the leaves are back on" but during winter the leaves have fallen, which enables light/heat through.
User avatar
yorik
Site Admin
Posts: 8684
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Postby yorik » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:18 pm

@Norm you use your own view as your desktop background? Does it show your desktop too, in an infinite vortex? :)

@Regis amazing screens!!!
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 12294
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Postby NormandC » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:32 am

yorik wrote:@Norm you use your own view as your desktop background? Does it show your desktop too, in an infinite vortex? :)

LOL, it's not my desktop background, it's an image I opened (you can see the blue background at the right). A colleague and I were arguing whether we had received more snow than the previous year, and I remembered I had taken a picture last year. Once it was open I figured it would be fun taking a new one with the old picture as reference. ;)