hyrban car at 40fires.org

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
logari81

hyrban car at 40fires.org

Post by logari81 »

normandc wrote: I've been scratching my head for interesting examples to model in FreeCAD.
One idea for free-cad testers is to try to model parametrically from scratch as much of the CAD drawings from http://www.40fires.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Hy ... D%20models as possible. As we add features to FreeCAD we can complete the whole car. It will definitely attract a lot of interest and help us in fixing bugs, improving the modeling workflow and creating documentation.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Show your FreeCAD projects here!

Post by NormandC »

Wow! Cool project! But all the files are in IGES format. That people still use this format is beyond me. From one of the images, the project seems to have been modeled in CATIA. Why would someone export a solid model to a surface file format?!?

We'd need a central place/repository for the files to make sure parts are not modeled twice or more...
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

normandc wrote:Why would someone export a solid model to a surface file format?!?
Mayby car body is designed as surfaces, not solids. I saw BMW car body model made in CATIA as sufaces. So complicated solid model was too hard to handle - even by CATIA.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I'm pretty sure that the car body was designed as surfaces, but unfortunately it has not been uploaded. I was talking about the suspension assemblies available on the link you gave (they're the only files availables). These should have been modeled as solids, so exporting to IGES instead of STEP makes no sense.
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

You got point, it makes no sense. They said:
For now, we have decided to share the 3D models as IGS files. IGS files can be opened with all conventional CAD softwares, but also with all OS CAD softwares and various free viewers.
Is IGS a convenient format for you ?
Do you have any experience in using OpenSource CAD softwares ? Any advice ?
Do you know of any other CAD sharing formats/softwares that would be more suitable for 40fires ?
http://forums.3603632.n2.nabble.com/CAD ... 10859.html

They don't know STEP or... what? I cannot understand their choice.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

For one thing I think AutoCAD only opens IGES. Yes, after 25+ years of existence, that program which allows 3D modeling (in a fashion) still cannot open and export STEP files.

In the forum topic you linked they're talking about OS (Open Source?) CAD software. Maybe they believe only BRL-CAD is out there? I don't think it can open STEP either.

P.S. I don't know why I said they don't provide the car body, because they do... I'm going to try loading it in FreeCAD.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I opened the front suspension and the lower monocoque body. Zooming is not smooth, but rotating the view is.

The problem is that the front suspension is imported as a single part, instead of an assembly. It may be troublesome to isolate each component to remodel it.

Edit: OK, I imported all the components into a single FreeCAD document. The program is unresponsive for a few seconds when importing or saving, but overall it is not so bad. The saved file is 48.3MiB. The whole set of .igs files (minus the lower_monocoque one) is 124.8MiB!

I assigned new colors and added 60% transparency to the windows. It looks great, and rotating or panning is still smooth, but forget zooming with the mouse wheel.

FreeCAD makes a great CAD viewer! :)
Attachments
FC_Hyrban_car.jpg
FC_Hyrban_car.jpg (164.33 KiB) Viewed 4912 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

indeed zooming gets a bit laggy when zooming out on large documents... One day we should think of doing something about that