unable to select multiple objects

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
alaw

unable to select multiple objects

Post by alaw »

Hello, I just installed FreeCAD 0.16 (recommended) on my MAC It's an iMac running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6.
The first thing I attempted was a tutorial called "Basic modeling tutorial" that I found on the Start page.
On the 3rd, or 4th step in the tutorial I am supposed to select two boxes that I made in the previous steps.
When I attempt to select the second object while holding down the control key I get a context menu, but it does not select the second object.
I tried CAD, and Blender navigation, and get the same results...
It appears that I cannot complete the tutorial as I have not found an alternate method of making the multiple selections.
If there is something I am missing, I would much appreciate a nudge in the right direction...
Seems like a shame not to be able to use FreeCAD, and I am thinking this can't be right, it seems like the most basic of operations.
I can select multiple files using the control key in the finder, and other apps...

Thanks for any input that might help clear this up.
Art
NormandC
Veteran

Re: unable to select multiple objects

Post by NormandC »

Hello Art,

Welcome to the forum.
alaw wrote:I can select multiple files using the control key in the finder, and other apps...
Are you sure? On Mac OS X, it's usually the "Apple"/Command key rather than Control, isn't it? (The one with the ⌘ symbol) I haven't owned/used a Mac since MacOS 9...

I think whenever the Control key is mentioned, you should substitute it with the Command key. Control is for Windows and Linux systems.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote:
I think whenever the Control key is mentioned, you should substitute it with the Command key. Control is for Windows and Linux systems.
For future reference: You are right - as always.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
alaw

Post by alaw »

Thanks for the response, the command key does work!
Thanks to you both. Very much appreciated!
Art
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote:You are right - as always.
:ugeek: :mrgreen:
viraj2002

Post by viraj2002 »

How does box selection work for a .stl file? I am unable to select a group of faces. I want to unite them and define as a single patch. Please help!

Thanks
Viraj
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

viraj2002 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm How does box selection work for a .stl file? I am unable to select a group of faces. I want to unite them and define as a single patch. Please help!

Thanks
Viraj
Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.
viraj2002 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm How does box selection work for a .stl file?
Currently the general purpose Box Select only selects items that are fully within the box drawn. The problem you are seeing is, I assume, that you are selecting only a few faces of an STL mesh object, the Box Selection works on the whole object level, not its subcomponents, hence since only a few faces of the stl are within the box and others are outside it, the "object" STL Mesh is not selected.
viraj2002 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm I am unable to select a group of faces. I want to unite them and define as a single patch. Please help!

You might be able to get somewhere with the Mesh Workbench tools.

The standard default view mode for STL mesh objects is "shaded" that does not show the extra edges. If you change the view mode property in the property editor by selecting from the drop down list, you can select "Flat Lines" which will show the extra edges.
viraj2002 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm I want to unite them and define as a single patch.
Not sure what exactly you mean by that. But if it helps, you can in the Part WB "create a solid from a mesh". Then it is possible to run a Part Refine or a parametric OpenSCAD WB Refine which will remove the extra edges from planar surfaces. But of course if you then go to the Mesh workbench and run "create mesh from a solid" it would put the edges back again, since an STL mesh is described by triangles.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11622 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 5ffe17153d84e5b361ba4c41e56c62977619f589
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)