making a spring with hooks on the extremes, or how to join paths for a single sweep.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
quick61
Veteran

Re: making a spring with hooks on the extremes, or how to join paths for a single sweep.

Post by quick61 »

+1

Nicely done triplus! :ugeek:

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
bejant
Veteran

Re: making a spring with hooks on the extremes, or how to join paths for a single sweep.

Post by bejant »

Here's the link to what I had in mind a few posts back:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9538&start=10#p77735

Nice tutorial there triplus, you should post a link to it here:
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... sFromForum

I see that wiki page hasn't been updated in about a year...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

quick61 wrote:+1

Nicely done triplus! :ugeek:

Mark
Thanks.
bejant wrote:Here's the link to what I had in mind a few posts back:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9538&start=10#p77735

Nice tutorial there triplus, you should post a link to it here:
http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... sFromForum

I see that wiki page hasn't been updated in about a year...
I am a bit rusty when it comes to Wiki and hopefully if somebody in the future would need tutorial like this forum search will do its job.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

triplus wrote:I am a bit rusty when it comes to Wiki
I added it.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

bejant wrote:
triplus wrote:I am a bit rusty when it comes to Wiki
I added it.
Thanks.
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Thanks triplus for this little tutorial ;) I made a video (french speaker) from that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9DsJFOu0tk

Just, i have to make a little offset of Arc and Face before making the extrude (see at 6:40) because sometimes the resulting edge (the edge we want at the end) don't finish exactly at the begining of the helix. That result to get a block instead of a wire when we make the draft upgrade of all edges.
The weird thing is that sometimes it's work and sometimes not (of course it was working almost all time when I was not recorded the screen, and fail almost all time when I was recording :lol: ).
But with the offset it work as expected ;)
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

rockn wrote:Thanks triplus for this little tutorial ;) I made a video (french speaker) from that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9DsJFOu0tk
Nice.
Just, i have to make a little offset of Arc and Face before making the extrude (see at 6:40) because sometimes the resulting edge (the edge we want at the end) don't finish exactly at the begining of the helix. That result to get a block instead of a wire when we make the draft upgrade of all edges.
The weird thing is that sometimes it's work and sometimes not (of course it was working almost all time when I was not recorded the screen, and fail almost all time when I was recording :lol: ).
But with the offset it work as expected ;)
If i would have to guess i would say it's a precision thing. Not FreeCAD preferences precision but as said in tutorial:
In Draft Workbench use set of tools: Draft SelectPlane Image, Draft Line Image, Draft Arc Image, Draft Endpoint Snap Image and Draft Center Snap Image. After a bit of precise work with selecting correct snap modes and working planes we create arcs.
When it doesn't work i would suspect you didn't do "perfect snap". That could probably be solved (easy way) with using Draft Move Image.
telpochyaotl

Post by telpochyaotl »

Wow, Sorry it took me so long to get back and reply, but I have to say, I am really impressed with what you did!

I really appreciate all the effort and time you poured into this, to help a complete stranger.

Hopefully it does not only help me, but many.

Again, thank you for the great tutorial!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

You're welcome (but remember this is only one way of doing it).
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

I am building an axial spring.
Image.

There are three parts. One arm is a padded sketch, the coil is a sweeped helix, and the bent arm is a sweeped bezier draftwire.

But, I'd like to be able to parameterize the arms by "attaching them" to the helix. I don't think there's a way to do this currently. Or, does anyone know of a way to make the position of a parameterized part (here one of the arms) dependent on the parameters of another part?

For example, I'd like to make variants of this spring whose arms rest at different angles. The arm position within the part would have to be dependent on the helix height. But the expression would use sines and cosines and is a bit much for the formula window.