how do I set a fractional extrude?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ipropdoctor

how do I set a fractional extrude?

Post by ipropdoctor »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

Hello, and thank you for helping beginners like me.

I am working on an extrusion and I want a fractional z axis dimension. I have changed the units to SAE and want a .481 positive z axis solid. I am unable to set anything in increments other than a single unit.
triplus
Veteran

Re: how do I set a fractional extrude?

Post by triplus »

I am not sure i understand the question. You would like to extrude along the Z axis in incremental steps?

Can you provide sample image or a bit better description of what you are trying to achieve?
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

If you are creating a Part Extrude, you should type 0.481 into the Length field. If you want to change the length of extrusion later, you can do so in properties (Dir property, set z to 0.481). If it doesn't work - it's a bug (hmm, decimal/group separators problem again?)
ipropdoctor

Post by ipropdoctor »

Triplus, thanks for responding. Since I am new to this I am not surprised that I am not being clear.

I have a cylinder with a circular pocket that is .48 inches deep. No problem there. Now I want to place a key at several places on the inside diameter of the pocket. My approach was to use Part to create a .1 X .1 inch rectangle, then extrude it to .48 inches, then join the cylinder and the extruded keys.

When I attempt to extrude by typing in .48 inches in the Z-axis field I get a very thin extrusion. Upon investigating, I find that I can only increment the extrusion in 1 unit steps. I’m not even certain whether the unit is a MM or a .1 inch step.

If this is not clear enough I will research the method required to attach my project.
ipropdoctor

Post by ipropdoctor »

DeepSOIC thanks for the pointer. It worked. I now understand.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Ah! I think, in places where there is no dimension indicated, it is in millimiters. These dimensionl-less spinboxes are being slowly replaced with more modern spinboxes with unit support... Part Extrude is probably such a place, where it wasn't replaced yet...

For me, it doesn't make a big difference, because I live in mm.